Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
or should I go private inspection and pay?

I have put back my car to stock engine/exhaust mods, so I know I will pass that aspect of emissions...

however, I have clear front side markers, with amber bulbs, and No front license place....

I figuire I go to the DMV since inspection is free and paid thru the registration anyways...

is it worth going or end up paying a private inspection at the local gas station/mechanic just in canse the 2 things I mentioned, would they fail me?

thoughts?

thanks....

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
what did you get pulled over for?

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ChinoXS203 said:
what did you get pulled over for?
never got pulled over....my registration expires in January, just got new one in the mail, and I need to get it inspected....I thought I would just get an extension.....

my dealership charges $50....hmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Wow I'm glad I live in Illinois. Our inspections are every 5 years and all they check is the emissions (mods or no mods it doesn't matter) and they check to see if the cats are still there and if the gas cap is installed :lol:

Man some other states are really tough!

Mike

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
u gotta get an inspection on such a new car?? thats not cool. CT is only on new cars and i think every 10 yrs. will you get a fine if something doesnt pass? or will u just get a fix it notice. if its just a notice then take off what you are almost positive wont pass.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ChinoXS203 said:
u gotta get an inspection on such a new car?? thats not cool. CT is only on new cars and i think every 10 yrs. will you get a fine if something doesnt pass? or will u just get a fix it notice. if its just a notice then take off what you are almost positive wont pass.
yeah, apparently as it states on NJ DMV website:

The extension applies to new vehicles already purchased or leased in 2001 and 2002 in New Jersey, meeting the following criteria:

*The vehicle bears a new car dealer inspection sticker.
*The vehicle is currently owned by the original purchaser.
or the vehicle is still in the possession of the original lessee
* Vehicle model years 2001, 2002 and 2003 are included in the initiative.
* Vehicles that are model year 2000 that were purchased brand new in 2001 are also included.

Extension stickers for 2001 new vehicle purchases/leases are being mailed in 2003.
my car was originally purchased in NY as a new car, then the place I got it from in NJ got the car from an auction in PA....

so, since I wasnt the first owner and registered it in NJ, I cant get the extension....

it makes no sense....of course as a 2001 model, the car is very clean with all the cats.....

I'm just worried about passing the visual inspection part.....
with the front clear sidemarkers and no license plate, I guess I can stick the licence plate on with ties on the lower grill....maybe they wont notice the clear sidemarkers? they do have amber bulbs, so maybe I should be ok...

:chill:

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
my car was originally purchased in NY as a new car, then the place I got it from in NJ got the car from an auction in PA....

so, since I wasnt the first owner and registered it in NJ, I cant get the extension....

it makes no sense....of course as a 2001 model, the car is very clean with all the cats.....

with the front clear sidemarkers and no license plate, I guess I can stick the licence plate on with ties on the lower grill....maybe they wont notice the clear sidemarkers? they do have amber bulbs, so maybe I should be ok...

whats up Mark
i thought you were running the xerd pipe? i could be wrong but you might fail just for that. also the exhaust might give you some trouble. i know some places in NY wouldnt even touch my car because of the LTuned exhaust.

as far as the visual stuff goes. use some 3m tape on the front plate as a temporary fix. maybe you can swap back the stock sidemarkers, thats an easy 10minute mod.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
ZID IS300 said:
Wow I'm glad I live in Illinois. Our inspections are every 5 years and all they check is the emissions (mods or no mods it doesn't matter) and they check to see if the cats are still there and if the gas cap is installed :lol:

Man some other states are really tough!

Mike
they scan your ECU for OBDII codes.
if they can't hook it up - you fail

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
baadhabit said:
tsopranoMB said:

whats up Mark
i thought you were running the xerd pipe? i could be wrong but you might fail just for that. also the exhaust might give you some trouble. i know some places in NY wouldnt even touch my car because of the LTuned exhaust.

as far as the visual stuff goes. use some 3m tape on the front plate as a temporary fix. maybe you can swap back the stock sidemarkers, thats an easy 10minute mod.
hey Ray...

yeah, if you read closely my first rant I mentioned I took off all exhaust mods and went back to stock, I knew I wouldnt pass smog, etc with them.....:wink:

the visual stuff was what i've been scared of.....I sold the stock sidemarkers.....but i'm planning on temporarly putting the front licence plate back on....hopefully I can get away with the sidemarkers, i'll tell them thats how the car comes if they mention anything.....if not, then i'll go someplace and Pay, but i'd rather get it done for free first...

I'm probably going to go tomorrow or friday, i'll keep everyone updated....thanks for the help! :chill:

·
Banned
4,334 Posts
Just go find a privately owned Getty, and pay them whatever plus some, and theyll pass u. Make sure its a Latino tho.

I kno a few people who have crazily modified cars pass. They go to the local Getty which gets a new owner every 3 months (WTF???), pay them $50 compared to the $27, and get passed. But when they do the EMISSIONS check every two years they have to find a BoneStock car of the same kind to substitute tho. But not too much of a hassle, they just go to the dealer, Test Drive a car of the same type, and theyre home free.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I need a sticker every year ! I bought my car brand new and got the windows tinted b-4 my inspection, and they failed it ! The limit is 35% and my were testing at 33% ! come on give me a break ! but 3 places would not pass me, I had to find someone and pay 10 bux's extra !

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Marc.... just go to some joint in Newark and pay the guy$50 to print you a sticker. Maybe you may also wanna PM dt1313 and ask him where he gets his inspection done since he's boosted?

Maybe one of ur NJ .net members who works or has a hook up with a tech at the NJ Lexus Dealerships can just print you out a sticker at the dealership.

Im just gonna buy my sticker for $50 and call it a day.

Visual Safety check is usually never a problem.. long as all ur turn signals. lights and wipers and horn works, also brakes and tires have to be fairly roadworthy, as im sure yours are.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BigDaddyRich said:
Marc.... just go to some joint in Newark and pay the guy$50 to print you a sticker. Maybe you may also wanna PM dt1313 and ask him where he gets his inspection done since he's boosted?

Maybe one of ur NJ .net members who works or has a hook up with a tech at the NJ Lexus Dealerships can just print you out a sticker at the dealership.

yeah Rich..i've considered that as well....I just figuired if I can get it for free, then what the hell....

i'll let everyone knows what happens tomorrow....i'll prolly go to my Sunoco down the street that does private inspections...

8)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
tsopranoMB said:
BigDaddyRich said:

yeah Rich..i've considered that as well....I just figuired if I can get it for free, then what the hell....

i'll let everyone knows what happens tomorrow....i'll prolly go to my Sunoco down the street that does private inspections...

8)
Yeah I became pretty friendly with the arab guys that run the Mobil over by me. They'll prolly give me my sticker on the house in May since they know how much I cant stand GWB and the US Military. :crazy:

·
Registered
6,233 Posts
that's wierd.. in Cali the front clear sides are legal.

I don't think they will give you a hard time considering you already have the amber bulbs in there.. but who knows... different state = different laws. go figure.

anywho.. good luck with the inspection.

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPDATE:

local sunoco cant do it cuz of tints, my lex dealer wont cuz of tints......the place where i bought the car said they can take off the tint, let me go inspect for FREE at DMV, then have the place out the tint......$50 for that, not bad I guess....

1 more try at an exxon tomorrow, they said they probably could, but come back tomorrow....

if not, I guess I'll do the tint off/on for the inspection....

8)

·
Registered
754 Posts
To bad man i would gladly help u out if u were in NY :wink: jejejeje

·
Registered
18,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
UPDATE:

Today, I decided to go to the DMV and let them inspect it, after finding out nobody privately would pass me due to my tinted windows, which werent even that dark in the first place....

Car passed with flying colors, EXCEPT for the 2 front tinted windows! :x

SO, had the place where I bought the car from, may of 2002, took off the tint film, and will put new tints on for me whenever I want for $50....so, they didnt even charge me today for taking the tints off....I of course tipped the guy who did the job....

then went back to the inspection station....and Passed...now inspection is good till January 31, 2006....and I didnt have to bribe anyone or pay upwards of $100 for a private inspection....thus, I saved some money for the holidays...

·
11,054 Posts
They'are already inspecting 2001s in NJ? Wow... WA hasn't requested to look at mine yet...and they only inspect for emissions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.