Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I slapped a brandy new set of tein CS's on my car a few weeks ago, but this has been bothering me. Ride is excellent btw.

I left them at factory settings until I put a few miles on them. Now I go to adjust them. I adjust the rear first. Set it up to have a 1 finger gap on both sides. The driverside rear perch ended up pretty tight so it took some force to higher it up and spring is very preloaded now. Passender side rear I was able to turn by hand, and there is no preload on the spring, BUT car does sit even in the rear when I was done...

Moving on to the front of the car, thankfully the wheels dont have to come off, I can just cut the wheels and reach around to adjust these. Now here is the wierd thing... the Driverside front I was able to adjust by hand to get the one finger gap, with almost no load on the spring. The passenger side needed some force to spin the perch up and preloaded the spring alot. SOOO, basically what I got is a car that sits evenly, but preloaded on opposite corners of the car. Seems fubar to me... handling wise seems to be fine after cutting the wheel left+right and distribution feels equal...

Any ideas as to why this may be? These coil are put together from the factory and everything was tight and even when installed. What the heck.

·
1,621 Posts
If I'm not mistaken I think one side of our cars (passenger side?) sits a bit higher then the other side from factory, maybe about a 1/4"...

I've certainly noticed this on my car...

Do you think this could be it?

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^Well I just cant understand why opposite corners and tighter/loose... I am going to mess with it today and start from the begininning again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not to many people ever mention, weighing the car...
This is the best way to set your car up.
You need to find someone with scales...
Your car doesn't have even weight on each tire , front to back or side to side..that's why your getting different preload settings...

·
Registered
123 Posts
corner weights should be used to set the coilover heights, not only that remeber that ~70kg of driver will be sitting in the passenger seat whilst the car is in motion :)

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok I figured it out. What you have to do is measure the threads on each coilover. For me I have 3" of threads showing on both rears, and like 2 n 3/4" on both side up front. After driving it around and letting everything adjust, it does now sit level on perfectly flat ground. The problem is its hard to find a perfectly flat surface. Even my garage wasn't flat which is why I had mine all fubared.

My problem was I was measuring it from the center of the wheel to fender. Tire psi was perfect also, but I wasn't on a completely flat surface, which is what really threw everything off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts