Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand that this is slightly off topic, but my friend and I were having a "friendly" discussion about a certain AMG C500. According to her, this Benz had an automatic as well as a manual transmission. Not the e-shift or tiptronic type, but a real automatic, and a real manual (clutch and all.) I didn't even know that Benz made a manual in America, but she said that her uncle imported this AMG C500. Is this car for real? A true manual/true automatic Benz?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mercedes has stopped using manual trannies on any models equipped with I-6 or higher engines. And there are NO C500 designation. Which, if with current designation rule of Mercedes. C stands for C-Class, and the highest C-Class model you can have from Mercedes-AMG is C55 AMG, which is Auto only(and fast, too). Though I can't really confirm anything, I would say she's full of it, for now....

Sorry, if I let anyone down here...

Andy Kuo

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
maybe she was talking about AMG CL500? And the transmission she was talking about maybe something similar to the one Dinan or some tuner had for a 850CSi. Basically it is a manual gearbox, but they converted it so whenever you lift off the gas or step on the brake, the clutch will automatic engage. The shifter is still your typical H-gated shifter. I didn't hear too many good things about this system, although I did hear a rumor that MB did implement something similar to their A-Class in Europe.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I too have never heard of anything about an true auto/manual type deal. Hard-core tuners like brabus or lorinser have shoved getrag six speeds in there, but they had to gut a lot of stuff to fit it all in a CLK60(a one of a kind). The naming rule applies the same here and in europe, so there is no C500 anywhere, since the one you mentioned was imported.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I agree, the only manual I've heard of in a MB, other than the manual CLKs that Brabus/Renntech installs themselves (120k cars), is the new C class (just the base model though, C240?)

Other than that, MB is all about the AT.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
yup vvtipwrt, the new c-class will have a manual but that's the only one. i dont' really know why mb doesn't make a mt for their cars(except just maybe 95% of the buyers of their cars don't want them) but i think americans in general might be leaning back towards driving stickshifts so i have no idea. what they do need to do is make a manual for their new c32 amg, that would own! =) either way, MB has some of the most efficient auto trannies i think

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
You can get it in the SLK as well. I went to the dealer and saw it. I believe it is a 5 speed for the SLK230 and 6 speed for the SLK320. Go check it out in your dealer, or get a brochure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Mrclam,

The top of the line C-Class from AMG is C55 AMG, not C43. C55 is only sold in Europe and Asia.

Here are the AMGs that are currently in production, either, regular or custom production....

C43/C43T AMG
C55/C55T AMG
CLK55 AMG
E55/E55T AMG
G55(5dr/3dr/convertible) AMG
S55 AMG
CL55 AMG
SL55 AMG
SL73 AMG

Daniel,

1999 and 2000 SLK230 has 5-speed manual as optional, 2001 SLKs, regardless SLK230 or SLK320, have 6-speed manual standard.

Andy Kuo

------------------
Mercedes-Benz 400SE
Pearl Grey/Black

http://akry.homestead.com

·
Registered
159 Posts
since I got my SLK the first year it was availible in america, I had to get the 5 speed auto. Now the SLK230 has a smooth 5 speed and the 01 SLK320 has an even smoother 6 speed. I covet the SLK320.

------------------
1998 Mercedes Benz SLK230

1 - 11 of 11 Posts