Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay guys, i've searched everything i can think of to get help on, but nothing came up. I'm not sure how you guys treat new people on the forums, but all im asking is to bare with me and give a lil help. I own a 01 Is300, automatic with only 77k on it.

My car Yesterday while i was driving, my speedometer just pretty much gave out, along with my mpg gage. It doesn't go anywhere but stays on 0mph. My odo meter stop reading, or as i mean didn't go up. Everything else works but those two things? Could someone help me out or have any clue what happen? I've search the thread and read a few things on this same situation with others, but the answer didn't come up. Any help with be great...

Also, my BRAKE light is on all the time too. I've checked all the E-break lines, and it all looks good to me, since im new to the is platform, is the brake light the ebrake? or has to do with the actually brake system.

One more problem, when i go WOT til i get about to 60mph my car jerks about 4-5 times before i exceed 60mph. I really can't explain it but it feels like it doesn't want to shift maybe? but when i don't go WOT, and just drive normal it will pass 60 no problem with no jerking..once again, can anyone relate to what im talking about and get some help?

Sorry if you guys couldn't understand what i was talking about, if you need anymore info just let me know. Thanks in advance guys, hope i get some info.

·
Registered
609 Posts
First off, I'm not a pro, but I might suggest a few things and ask for a little more info that will help others help you.

The gauges - Is the volt meter still working? Try taking a picture. Are the lights still working on the gauge cluster? Has any work recently been performed on the car? Is it a salvage title, or has it been wrecked or under water? More details?

The brake lights - Is it just the third light or ALL the brake lights?

The shuddering car - search for "clean maf sensor" and follow those instructions. See if that helps. Do you have a CEL?

Check and clean your batter cable connections.

You'll need to narrow this down to see if you have multiple issues that are related or unrelated. You will only do this by being very specific. Chances are, no one has had these exact problems at the exact same time, so your issues my be completely foreign to people here.

There are some very knowledgeable people on these forums that can help you out if given details..

Welcome!

·
Registered
197 Posts
What he said really, I am also no pro with a IS yet. But I would start with the basics, check voltage(running, and engine off), check all connections.

Did all of these just come up at one time? Or, was it where each problem came on a time?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First off, I'm not a pro, but I might suggest a few things and ask for a little more info that will help others help you.

The gauges - Is the volt meter still working? Try taking a picture. Are the lights still working on the gauge cluster? Has any work recently been performed on the car? Is it a salvage title, or has it been wrecked or under water? More details?

The brake lights - Is it just the third light or ALL the brake lights?

The shuddering car - search for "clean maf sensor" and follow those instructions. See if that helps. Do you have a CEL?

Check and clean your batter cable connections.

You'll need to narrow this down to see if you have multiple issues that are related or unrelated. You will only do this by being very specific. Chances are, no one has had these exact problems at the exact same time, so your issues my be completely foreign to people here.

There are some very knowledgeable people on these forums that can help you out if given details..

Welcome!
thanks for some info, first i bought the car four days ago..everything seem to be okay but when i got the car it only had the jerking problem and the red brake light was on. Just yesterday my speedo stop working. My voltage still works fine. The title on the car is clean, but i don't think the previous owner knew how to take car of it too well.., if you still need pics, i'll try taking and posting some later. Brake light, what do you mean by all and third brake light? I'm sorry if i sound stupid, i'm still learning about this car :pissed: , in the dash it just saids BRAKE. Like i said before, i checked all the lines and all seems to be in order. Also, what are you talking about when you mention CEL?

once again, im sorry if sound really stupid asking these question, but thanks a lot of some info.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What he said really, I am also no pro with a IS yet. But I would start with the basics, check voltage(running, and engine off), check all connections.

Did all of these just come up at one time? Or, was it where each problem came on a time?
when i purchased the car, the jerking of the car and brake light was on. Just yesterday after washing my car, my speedo stopped working, and the ODO stop reading.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I hope you got a good deal on this car. But, it sounds like a few small problems to me. The MAF may be to blame on the jerking of the car, also check the trans fluid and see how it looks. As far as some of the cluster not working, it sounds like a electrical malfunction.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
check your driver side fuses in the kick panel

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I hope you got a good deal on this car. But, it sounds like a few small problems to me. The MAF may be to blame on the jerking of the car, also check the trans fluid and see how it looks. As far as some of the cluster not working, it sounds like a electrical malfunction.
i did, picked it up for 8k with 77k on the engine. The owner before me owed my dad a few favors...:suspiciou , but yeah im going to check out my MAF later, I'll also take a look at the trans fluid too. Thanks man.

·
Registered
609 Posts
:frustrate

Oh, thaaaatttt brake light. Duh! Sorry man, I was thinking like tail lights :)

For that brake light check your pads and see if they're worn out. It sounds like you're just learning and that's cool, so maybe get someone to help jack the car up and take the wheels off to check the brake pad lining thickness (safety first). Once these get too thin the light will come on due to the fluid level dropping. You can add fluid to the reservoir, but that's not going to fix your brakes. You probably need new brake pads.

As for the other stuff, check the fuses and battery connections. A voltage problem may be causing all or part of your electrical problems. It certainly wont help /ignition etc...

Truthfully, I'm surprised you don't have a check engine light on.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That is very interesting! I'm also no expert but i know for a fact that I had to replace a speed sensor in my car and it was doing the exact same thing. For the first while my speedo would bounce around then it completely stopped. I also lost the odo.
Hope that helps!!!!

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
That is very interesting! I'm also no expert but i know for a fact that I had to replace a speed sensor in my car and it was doing the exact same thing. For the first while my speedo would bounce around then it completely stopped. I also lost the odo.
Hope that helps!!!!
you're right, the speed sensor also. this happened to me in another car once

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hope that helps!!!!
yes, i took out my speed sensor last night, went to lexus and ordered a new one. Hopefully that fixes that odo and speedo problem.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
:frustrate

Oh, thaaaatttt brake light. Duh! Sorry man, I was thinking like tail lights :)

For that brake light check your pads and see if they're worn out. It sounds like you're just learning and that's cool, so maybe get someone to help jack the car up and take the wheels off to check the brake pad lining thickness (safety first). Once these get too thin the light will come on due to the fluid level dropping. You can add fluid to the reservoir, but that's not going to fix your brakes. You probably need new brake pads.

As for the other stuff, check the fuses and battery connections. A voltage problem may be causing all or part of your electrical problems. It certainly wont help /ignition etc...

Truthfully, I'm surprised you don't have a check engine light on.
im going to replace my brake pads sometime this week, they do look kinda old and worn down. Add more fluid while i'm at it, hopefully it clears that annoying light. lol, and im glad my check engine light isn't on. That would just annoy me even more.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP AND INFO GUYS!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT :bigSmile:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have no more question though, hopefully i'm not driving any of you guys crazy lol. My traction control button seems not to work. I would think that once i press it the button would light up too? along with a little icon in the dash? Well nothing lights up in the dash when i hit it, nor the button. What could cause my traction control to not work??

·
Registered
140 Posts
The first thing you might want to check is that everything is connected right with the traction control. It's super easy to do, too. The dash panel that the traction control button is on literally slides right out. Just slide it towards you and make sure everything is plugged in well.

Also, if you have heated seats, make sure they work, too. If they don't it's possible the wires for each of those got plugged into the wrong outlets (i.e. TC in one of the heated seat outlets)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The first thing you might want to check is that everything is connected right with the traction control. It's super easy to do, too. The dash panel that the traction control button is on literally slides right out. Just slide it towards you and make sure everything is plugged in well.

Also, if you have heated seats, make sure they work, too. If they don't it's possible the wires for each of those got plugged into the wrong outlets (i.e. TC in one of the heated seat outlets)
thanks man, sounds good! Both of my heated seats work very good. I'll check out the wiring now.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
alright guys, update on what i did over the weekend. The BRAKE light is officially gone. Replaced the rear brake pads and add more break fluid ^_^b.

Now, I order a new vss from lexus and its coming in on tuesday. Hopefully that fixes the odo and speedo problem.

The traction control problem on the other hand, i still can't figure out. I Checked all the wires out and they seem to be fine. Any other ideas?

And thanks a lot for the help guys, you all are great and very friendly :worship:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts