Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im home for the weekend and me and my friends decide to go into hartford for some fun bar action. i offered to drive like always so we went on our way. then we park in a parking lot downtown and go hit up the bars.... have a great time... and then.

get back to the parking lot settle all in the car, and start to get going. so im backingout of the parking space when we hear this huge scrape. i immediately stop, first i thought i hit someone but i thought 'i definitely checked to see if someone was there'. then i come to the realization that my exhaust just took a nose dive on the bad incline.

we are waiting in line to get out of the parking lot so we get out and check it, it got pushed up and bent in a bit. So knowing that (and apparently not thinking at this point) we get back in and wait to get outta there. Finally make it home after a bit, and about 3/4 of the way home i realized what ive done. melted the f'n bumper. so when i get home i go out and check it and sure enough it's got a nice looking melt spot to the right of the normal exhaust notch.

I need some advice on what to do. obviously before i drive home tomorrow i should pull the exhaust back into normal place and try to straighten the bend edge of the pipe. but what do i do about the bumper? i hope im mistaken but something liek this (read: driver stupidity) isnt covered under warranty correct? i really dont want my car looking like shit but those are the breaks huh?
money is kinda tight right now so getting a new bumper (unless they are pretty cheap if i could replace that lower part, although it looks like it's one piece witht he upper part) is pretty much out of the question?

ugh .. and after i totally cleaned the car meticulously today. this sucks. kinda put a damper on a nice night at the bars with girls dancing on the bar and showing most of their boobage off to the crowd. okay im done bitching about ym stupidity. any ideas for a good remedy would be helpful.
thanks
-shawn

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update:
went out this morning and pulled muffler back into normal position. exhaust is fine, need a new hanger but the bumper is hosed. anyone know prices on replacement bumpers?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
If you just got a aftermarket lip, wouldn't that cover the melted place? That might be cheaper.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
holy shit, now that's a burn. I imagined it just warping the side a little, but daym that shit needs to be replaced. Either see what the quote on a bumper is or see if someone is selling a rear bumper, if i remember correctly someone was selling a ibp rear, or was that sbm. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I think your cheapest solution would be to buy a used one in the Sale/Trade forum. Unless you have a hookup at a body shop and they can fix it for you.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*UPDATE*
called the dealer and surprisingly the bumper is only 270 dollars unpainted. a lot less than i expected

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
shawn54c said:
*UPDATE*
called the dealer and surprisingly the bumper is only 270 dollars unpainted. a lot less than i expected
wow. i bet to get it painted would more than double that price

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
i got an estimate to fix my bumper after it got hit. to have the bumper removed, baked back into shape, painted and reinstalled by Lexus the total was $375.00

1 - 12 of 12 Posts