Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mods, I am not sure if this is the appropiate section but I figured more guys would know this in this section than any other.

I am trying to ship out an automatic IS300 transmission to Mo at SRT. I am not sure if UPS will take it or not since it is a heavy item. For guys who have shipped out the trans, which route did you go?

FedEX Frieght is giving me like $250 quote online. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
John

·
Registered
237 Posts
You can try just about any commercial freight company. I have used FedEx freight, UPS freight, Watkins, Allied, DHL. Just about any company that ships packages can also ship freight packages.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mods, I am not sure if this is the appropiate section but I figured more guys would know this in this section than any other.

I am trying to ship out an automatic IS300 transmission to Mo at SRT. I am not sure if UPS will take it or not since it is a heavy item. For guys who have shipped out the trans, which route did you go?

FedEX Frieght is giving me like $250 quote online. Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thanks
John
just go to walmart and buy a plastic tote and put the transmission in that. Take it to an autorized shipping center for ups/fedex/etc.. and they will ship it for you. I've shipped a transmission to NY for like $90 including the tote. Hope that helps you out, good luck.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
just go to walmart and buy a plastic tote and put the transmission in that. Take it to an autorized shipping center for ups/fedex/etc.. and they will ship it for you. I've shipped a transmission to NY for like $90 including the tote. Hope that helps you out, good luck.
Ahh Thank You. Someone else just told me the samething. Plastic tote + Fedex = cheapest.

Thanks Again.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Yeah, what he said. I just shipped an R-154 to MD thru FEDEX ground for $90 in a Plastic box. Be careful though, the box cracked and some of the parts fell out. They did pay me for the parts, but it was a hasstle for the recipient to not have the parts ready to install. Taping up the whole box with Duct tape would have prevented this. Hope this helps.

Reactions: Eminence

·
Registered
285 Posts
Extra

I recommend putting all the extra hardware and minor parts in a small box of some sort inside the tote that way if it does break then itll all be together.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Exactly what they did. Rubbermaid container FTW ! :)

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From adamgamz weight info, he has told me is weighs 147lbs with bellhousing and mounts.

·
Premium Member
10,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Peter, sorry I couldn't grab that trany for you any earlier. The earliest would have been next Monday (my day off). As I can see you grabbed a spare from Jowe.

I believe 147lb is the average weight, lol Mike probably was a little lucky. But most places cap their maximum weight at 150lbs.

My suggestion take off the bellhousing, mounts and any unnecessary parts. Also try using DHL I believe they're probably the cheapest.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
yea i got it from jowe since his was taken off his car on saturday.. picked it up the same day lol. No worries though.. it was just about the same weight w/ shipping as you woulda been able to get for me but i didnt have to bother you.

im dropping it off at dhl today. i took off the bell housing but wasnt able to take off the mounts in the back because i had trouble reaching the bolts with the tools i had on hand.

edit: just shipped... they just asked me for the weight so i said 140lbs. it was $102 to ship with 300 dollars of insurance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts