Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I would like to use your help to get the best deal for an IS300 from a dealer. I'm located in so-cal area and this is the first time I'll be dealing with dealers.

First of all does the 3 year/ 100.000 miles warranty worth the extra cost or shall I go after a private party car.

Secondly I found a nice 2004 IS300 with 44k at a dealer with the warranty, it has leather seats, sunroof and navi. It's also automatic. They said it's $24k but of course we'll negotiate. What should be my strategy, and what would be the lowest and okay price?

From the other side I'm planning to spend ~$18k, what would be the best I could get?

I really appreciate your time and help in advance, thanks alot!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
$24k is super high in my opinion. I'd look on craigslist.org and autotrader.com . I prefer private sellers personally. Heres some examples for you to compare:

White IS300 (Dealer) 03' 50k $19,700
ThunderCloud Sportdesign Edition (dealer) 04' 59k $20,900
2004 Lexus IS300 (Black) 79k (private seller) - $17000
'02 LEXUS IS300 58K miles, (private seller) 5 speed - $12800

And those are just the first few I randomly snagged off of craigslist (I LOVE Craigslist, bought my last 4 cars off there!!)

- Don't be afraid to leave the dealership. Just walk away comeback the next day or week. If the price isn't right again, walk away. They'll lower the price and if not then, good for you! You didn't let them pressure you into a sale.
- Don't believe what price they claim they got it for. They RAPE people on trade ins and have a lot of fat they can cut off the price and still come out ahead.
- Come in at the end of a month when they want to reach sales goals
- Go in on a holiday or what not and keep them late, sometimes they'll throw you a great deal just so they can get home to their family
- Don't be afraid to "low ball", I know its an evil word supposedly, but who give a sh*t. I'd rather low ball them and save money than try to look all cool and wealthy and overpay
- Bring in flyers of other cars that are price lower with similar or better options and mileage to show them. say something like "yeah, I'm really looking at these other ones more but I was driving by and figured I'd take a look. Probably don't want this one though since its not as good/dinged/lacking __ / or whatever"

Ok thats enough for now

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
There's even three IS300's on Craiglist for only $9,000 obo....so basically you could pick those up in the 8's if not 7's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the info.
What price shall I bargain for a 2004 silver ~45k mil. no navi, leather seats, auto IS300?

·
Registered
14 Posts
if you wanna figure out prices, you can always go to kbb.com and research the "values"...take about 4 grand off of the dealer price of msrp, and you should be about where you wanna be. I wouldn't expect a dealer to sell it for less than 3-4 grand less than their asking price or msrp. This only applies to used cars though, since that is where dealers usually make a killing.

For new, you can look up invoice prices online, and you can probably get it for a couple hundred more.

Hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts