Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an onyx IS300 with black 18's, im painting my calipers red with black Lexus stickers and am going to buy new rotors. I found black rotors which I like because im trying to go all black with my car. Its between black drilled/slotted rotors or the normal polished metal. Im just wondering if the black will make the wheels and everything look too dull, because I know the the polished will definitely look good. I just saw black and thought it would be a little different. I would just like to hear some peoples opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
I bought black slotted rotors... I have yet to install them, waiting
for good weather. I think black looks the best.

j

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where did you get yours from and how much?

·
Registered
387 Posts
do the traditional silver cause with a black roto theres no contrast and its hard to see definition of your rims from fat away.. I have black rims also with regular rotoes.. the contrast makes a big difference in making the rims and red caliper stand out.. If anything just paint the Hubs black and leave the rotors silver..

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Um, the deal with zinc plating is that when you apply your brakes the
rotors rub away where the pad makes contact. The part that stay
zinc coated/coloured is the outside and hub part of the rotor ---> basically
where the pad doesn't make contact.

Juss to clear up some confusion.

I bought mine from a local supplier... but you can get some good
deals on ebay.

j

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quick question, the hub by my rotors is all rusted is this normal? Is there anyway to get rid of it or do you just have to paint it?

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
normal for rotor surcfaces to rust a bit...

Just paint 'em..use hi temp paint...

you will have to do this every few months or so.... paint cooks on rotors & eventually bakes off & flakes away... exposing rotors & even zinc plating will eventually wear/ bake away & leave exposed steel to rust a bit...

Don't worry about masking all that much,... i'd put a large towel over the fender to protect paint from mist/overspray

just pop the sheels off & test fire your paint can so you know how it fires the spray pattern out of the nozzle...?

you can wire brush the rotor hub to knock off any loose paint or rust, then just wipe it down with an alcohol soaked rag & shoot lightly at the base...

I get paint flaking up from the edge where the paint stops cause the rotor is scrubbed by pads...then it rusts over time..so i just shoot the rotor & I dont care if the paint gets onto the braking surface... it will just be scraped off by the pads the 1st time you brake, & be perfect again... I dont BLAST the braking surface with paint but a little overspray is fine... if the rotors are warm also from driving,.. it helps the paint dry fast... you should be done in about an hour & a half to 2 hours max with jacking up the car & pulling wheels off, painting & putting them back on... fresh paint for all 4 rotors....

i actually have to do this tonight or tomorrowe as i have a show this weekend...

Who is going to Formlua D event at IRwindale this weekend,.,...??

Stop by the show area & Say hi! i am showing with Team Transport again...

good luck bro

·
Banned
12,375 Posts
i got a deal on the project mu replacement rotors on our car. surface is gunmetal, not silver or black. the slots are and hub are traditional project mu mint greenish/aqua. i cant wait to install them. i hav black rims, should look ridiculous

1 - 10 of 10 Posts