Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Alright guys, here's the scoop. I just bought my car (2002 IS300) at a dealership about 2 weeks ago, so yes I'm a newbie. I discovered my rear speakers don't sound right (no bass). Like a good newbie I researched the issue extensively on the board. I need a little more help though.

I've seen the posts about the factory amps burning out or blowing fuses. I was ready to buy a used amp off the board, but figured WTF let the dealer fix it. So I took it in the other day, and 2.5 hours later they tell me thats just the way it is and its 100 percent normal. When I was shopping around I recalled another car's stereo sounding more impressive. Plus I know Lexus didn't put 2 large speaker back there for just high end frequencies.

Can someone confirm for me that '02 cars do normally have bass frequencies coming from the rear deck speakers. (I know it's not a subwoofer). And is the fuse for the amp on the amp itself, or in a fuse panel box? And the amp is located by the passenger side kick panel correct?

I'm frustrated with the dealer, and just want to enjoy my new toy! :) Thanks for the additional help on an all to common post.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Yes, tell the dealer that you're rear speakers are a double stack. The tweeters sit on top of the woofers. If there is any confusion just remind the guy that "woofers" are speakers that reproduce low notes, also known as bass...Then kick him in the brain for being an idiot and tell him to fix your shit!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool, amp it is. I knew it too, just needed more ammo for kicking dealer ass! Knowledge is power.

Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I'm assuming you already messed with the stock audio settings (bass/mid/treb/etc.) I leave mine with the bass at 4 mid at 5 and treb at 4. Sounds good to me, but I don't listen to much hip hop or techno. Sure sounds good with some metal though.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You might want to check and make sure the mid-bass(woofer) is working on your rear speakers. With you radio on see if you see the woofer moving from insdie the trunk. If not you might have to check the wireing and make sure someone hasnt removed and then reinstalled them wrong.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might want to check and make sure the mid-bass(woofer) is working on your rear speakers. With you radio on see if you see the woofer moving from insdie the trunk. If not you might have to check the wireing and make sure someone hasnt removed and then reinstalled them wrong.
Thats a good point too. I'll look into that. Though I don't think its been modified, the car was a one female owner from a wealthy retirement community.

Another question though. If its the amp or wiring the woofer isn't going to move either way, right? Can I use a voltmeter at the speaker to see if its receiving power from the amp?

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Thats a good point too. I'll look into that. Though I don't think its been modified, the car was a one female owner from a wealthy retirement community.

Another question though. If its the amp or wiring the woofer isn't going to move either way, right? Can I use a voltmeter at the speaker to see if its receiving power from the amp?
If the tweeter back there is making sound then it isn't the stock amp.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
Actually the bass for the rear 6x9 is on a different channel on the amp.
But do you really think be blew not one......but both bass channels? It is possible but the chance of that happening is VERY low. I agree with the others, it sounds like his arent wired.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I had and still have a similar problem. The low frequency output on my rear speakers is extremely poor compared to my fronts. I visually inspected the amp but no "burn" marks. I then replaced the amp with a known good one from the marketplace here but with the same result. I'm thinking it must be the speakers, but I'm gonna wait until I upgrade the system overall rather than replace them with OEMs (and have the same problem, lol).

·
Registered
13,905 Posts
I'm no audio expert, but I just replaced one of my stock rear speakers. When I tested the rears, they sound weak. I think most of the bump comes from the doors.

Maybe I'm crazy.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts