Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lexus is250 came with stock summer tires and now I need to buy some winter tires . The size of the front tires are 225/45r18 and rear 245/45r18. Obviously the bigger the tire the more expensive it is so I am going to buy 17 steel rims and id like to buy the smallest tires possible.

Ive heard that the narrowest tires are the best in snow is this true? Can I put all four tires 225/45r17 or do the rear tires need to be larger than the front? Can I go even smaller than 225/45r17? What snow tire has the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
My lexus is250 came with stock summer tires and now I need to buy some winter tires . The size of the front tires are 225/45r18 and rear 245/45r18. Obviously the bigger the tire the more expensive it is so I am going to buy 17 steel rims and id like to buy the smallest tires possible.

Ive heard that the narrowest tires are the best in snow is this true? Can I put all four tires 225/45r17 or do the rear tires need to be larger than the front? Can I go even smaller than 225/45r17? What snow tire has the best bang for the buck?

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Steve. Thanks for your question> Snow tires are only produced one time a year in preparation for winter. As the season is ending, we currently are running low on stock for winter tires. Nonetheless, I can offer you some help.

To answer your questions, yes, narrower snow tires run better in winter conditions, generally speaking. For your vehicle, you are going to want to try and maintain a taller rear tire by at least 1/2". This will help keep your vehicle's handling the same. For that reason, you may not really want to run all four of the same size tires.

Here is what I would recommend running for a winter setup on 17" wheels.
option 1
Front tires: 205/50-17
Rear tires: 225/50-17

option 2
Front tires: 215/50-17
Rear tires: 235/50-17

For wheels you are going to want to try to maintain a staggered fitment as well. Narrower wheels should be in the front, with the rear wheels at least 1/2" wider. It looks like I have the MB Weapons in stock. These are a clean, simple design that would be easy to maintain.

MB Weapon 17 x 7

MB Weapon 17 x 8

Hope this helps get you started. Please give us a call if there is anything else we can help you with. 1.888.459.4080

Thanks, Kevin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. Well I bought four 205/55r16 tires on 16 inch steel rims and everything seems to fit just fine. Im glad i got some winter tires, the handling is like night and day compared to the oem tires.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.