Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, so I recently installed the LMS heatshield on my 05' IS300 and I ran into some problems.

1. The bolt on the ABS box is banging on the front heatshield.

2. One of the big hoses with a metal clamp on it, located near the end of the engine, is also performing the same action, scratching up against the rear of the heatshield.

So I need some help with these issues. I want to find a way to mod this without doing any mod to the heatshield itself. If anyone can help me out with this that would be GREAT!

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
Well, do you want to mod the shield or mod the hose/nut/bolt?
Do you have some pics of the upper mount, is there any room for play?

So the heater hos you could rotate the clip around and maybe get some more clearance. The front nut I would say add a cap so it does not scratch. If you can play with the mounting at all that would be the question.

Fig

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i want to mod the hose/nut/bolt, i don't want to mess with the shield itself. yea i tried rotating the clip on the hose but it still scratches. you think using a metal hose clamp would work because of the thinness and it's small? or would it just burn through the hose when its hot?

Well, do you want to mod the shield or mod the hose/nut/bolt?
Do you have some pics of the upper mount, is there any room for play?

So the heater hos you could rotate the clip around and maybe get some more clearance. The front nut I would say add a cap so it does not scratch. If you can play with the mounting at all that would be the question.

Fig

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll give it a try later, but I'm pretty sure thats the furthest it can go...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
alright thanks, that would be great. what about the hose? did you do anything to that?

I have the same issue w/ my lms heat shield. I used a a piece of metal (~2mm thick, 1 inch wide), to put between the heatshield and the abs unit. I'll take a picture when i have a chance.

·
Manufacturer of Pipes
5,285 Posts
From what i remember..

That hose can be pushed away from the shield... it should give you a few mm's..

After researching some more on the nut I found a few members that put some double sided tape or some foam tabs that are sticky on one side..

Also, just an idea.. removing that nut and replacing it with a flat nut might do the trick too...

If you have time, if you come by my area.. we can check it out and swing by King Bolt for a solution..

Joe Z

·
Registered
137 Posts
a bump from the dead i know ... sorry.

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer after searching. I bought a used LMS heat shield without the hardware. From what i was able to gather from various posts ... a 5.5 allen head bolt (of unknown length) and a 3/4" washer.

I think I read on clublexus that you take the rear (existing) bolt to secure the front end of the heat shield. The new bolt/spacer is to be used to secure the hole to the rear. Does this sound right? Also if anyone can shed some light on the details of the bolt (so I can pick it up before starting to remove anything) it'd be much appreciated.

·
Vendor
4,813 Posts
a bump from the dead i know ... sorry.

I haven't been able to find a definitive answer after searching. I bought a used LMS heat shield without the hardware. From what i was able to gather from various posts ... a 5.5 allen head bolt (of unknown length) and a 3/4" washer.

I think I read on clublexus that you take the rear (existing) bolt to secure the front end of the heat shield. The new bolt/spacer is to be used to secure the hole to the rear. Does this sound right? Also if anyone can shed some light on the details of the bolt (so I can pick it up before starting to remove anything) it'd be much appreciated.
if you need a bolt its a m10, medium pitch. I have a few if you would like to get one off me.

·
Registered
137 Posts
awesome, thank you sir. I'll check with my machine shop at work if there's any lying around ... if not I may take you up on that offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts