Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have decided on the pro-kit. My dad has a 2000 BMW 328i w/sport package and I just LOVE the way it sits. I really dont have a lot of money to spend. My car has 88,000 miles on it, I am the second owner, the first owner was a girl who babied the thing and got it serviced every 5,000 miles....:cool: There was absolutely no carbon in the exhaust tip when i bought it. I asked her about the car and she never hit the pwr button or took the engine faster then 4,000rpms because she thought it would hurt it.:suspiciou

I have had the car for the last 5,000 miles if I were to put the pro-kit on my car would I suffer anything from it???Will it wear my shocks out??? anything else? the car has been aligned. Installation will be by a friend and I. I basically need help making a decision here, thanks! And if my best bet were to go ahead and get shocks ( I really dont want too) what are the cheapest but best (stock ride).

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
Just replace the struts, it will save you a lot of money in the long run. Tockico's are probably your best bargain.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Make sure to get it aligned again after you drop it. And putting aftermarket springs will wear out your stock struts quicker. If they were replaced recently you'll be fine for a while, if they've never been changed you should def swap them out at the same time.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
^^^x2. 88k is awhile for your struts to get a stiffer spring. replace them. dont forget that you have a major service coming up too that will cost you a pretty penny if you dont have much money.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
You do not NEED to replace your shocks... but this is a good time to do so. You need to remove the same parts to replace both your shocks and springs... so you can save on labour.

When I put Eibach pro-kits on stock shocks... what I noticed was it drove pretty much fine... but minor vertical motions of the car were not controlled properly making the car feel a bit nervous at times. I installed Bilstein shocks and everything felt great.

If you choose the right shocks to go with the Eibach pro-kits... you can get your drop... and preserve your Lexus ride.

Don't by the Eibach Pro-Kit just because you like how it looks on the BMW. Pro-Kits are different for different cars. I have a friend with a Mazda3 that also wants a prokit... but the pro-kit for his car is nearly half an inch lower than for the IS300.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
You don't need to replace them but with your miles.... you save money, time and labor in the long run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts