Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently had a compustar spread spectrum security system installed on my IS. I've had nothing but problems with it from day one. It's been to the install shop 4 times now and they're still working on it. It sets off the stock alarm when I try to remote start it. It locks me out of the car with no way in sometimes( I got stuck for an hour at a gas station once). It's a freakin mess. Any compustar owners here and have you had any problems? I mean so far I have been extremely patient with them and they have had a good attitude about all the problems they've been having with it as they should as they did/are doing the install. I paid $800.00 plus $400.00 for extras and now I have a car that works worse than before I brought it the install shop. The owner of the install shop (Soundcheck/San Diego) seems to think my door locking cylinder/mech. needs to be replaced. It worked fine before the install and what am I going to do? Tell lexus that I need a door mech. warrantied after I just got an after market sec. sys. That'll go over well. I'm getting to the point where I just want the whole system removed and roll with the stock security system like most IS owners probably do. Any thoughts on this would really ease my pain. HELP!!!!!! :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine:

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
graph said:
I just recently had a compustar spread spectrum security system installed on my IS. I've had nothing but problems with it from day one. It's been to the install shop 4 times now and they're still working on it. It sets off the stock alarm when I try to remote start it. It locks me out of the car with no way in sometimes( I got stuck for an hour at a gas station once). It's a freakin mess. Any compustar owners here and have you had any problems? I mean so far I have been extremely patient with them and they have had a good attitude about all the problems they've been having with it as they should as they did/are doing the install. I paid $800.00 plus $400.00 for extras and now I have a car that works worse than before I brought it the install shop. The owner of the install shop (Soundcheck/San Diego) seems to think my door locking cylinder/mech. needs to be replaced. It worked fine before the install and what am I going to do? Tell lexus that I need a door mech. warrantied after I just got an after market sec. sys. That'll go over well. I'm getting to the point where I just want the whole system removed and roll with the stock security system like most IS owners probably do. Any thoughts on this would really ease my pain. HELP!!!!!! :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine: :whine:
It is an installer issue. I will PM you with details. I will offer to help the shop do the install correctly remotely. I have done this numerous times in the past for fellow .net members.

·
Legacy Mod
6,072 Posts
Hey bro Sound Check is where I had mine installed as well, I had to hold the installers hand through the install, in the end I had to sit there and tell him what to do.

The issue with the alarm going off when you remote start the car is because they didn't hook up the key sense wire to the key/security transponder module. The wire is a yellow wire with a black line (Thanks for this info lisnup65)

He did fuck up my driver side door switch because he didn't know how to program the CompuStar to do dual pulse doors. They had to order me a new switch ($325). They ended up firing that guy because he pulled the old switch opened it up to the circuit board and sprinkled some water on it and I saw him do it, he them went to his manager and told him there was water in the switch. The manager and the installer them came said there was water in the switch, big mistake that’s all I have to say. I basically let them know that I work on PC for a living and have seen liquid damage to a circuit board on a daily basis at Sony corp. for over a year and there is no liquid damage on this board then I let the manager know I saw him spray water into the switch and made sure the installer heard, who had walked off once he thought the manager was believing him.

So let me ask the symptoms you have are the remote start and factory alarm and when you un-arm the CompuStar it only unlocks the driver side door and not the passenger side door correct? --not to worry this is normal and is only a programming issue which can be fixed with a few pushes of a button

Any other problems like the door switch doesn’t unlock the doors from the driver side or your auto up/down for driver side window acting funny not working the first time for auto up but working if you hold it for a few seconds or hit it a few times. –if so then your window switch needs to be replaced as well they nuked it

Hey going on vacation tomorrow but if you need help with anything programming the CompuStar for dual pulse unlock and so forth you can PM me and when I get back Jan 7th I can help you out

graph said:

·
8,849 Posts
The two posts above answered your inquiry.

It took me good half an hour to figure out how to bypass the OEM security during Remote Start sequence.

At any rate, as menioned above, it is the installer issue.

On my previous IS, I had separate buttons for disengaging of the OEM & Aftermarket security systems and a 4 door unlock. I think I will set up my new one to unlock all 4 doors with a double pulse, as I always unlock all of the doors anyway.

What I have found interesting is that when you phisically unlock the driver's door using a key, the electric unlock triggers the unlock too.

[off topic]
CarbonIS300, what part of Sony do you work for? I have a gripe with half-wit techs that fixed/screwed up my laptop, as well as Sony designers that released my series of laptops with a design issue.

P.S.
I have also fried a transisor in my driver door ECU while trying to figure out how things were working, before I had a copy of the wiring diagram book. Got it fixed later.

·
Legacy Mod
6,072 Posts
Well I used to work in Refurbish and then customer service repairing PC. The only reason I even took the job was because it was a year after 9/11 and there just was no market for LAN/WAN techs. I worked on their MX series, I was one of only two people out of 60 that could work on this model, everyone else that tried had there PC sent back problem not solved. I also worked on their LX and RS/RZ models all Desktop, I did do some laptop models in Refurbish also but I liked the PC better

I personally wouldn’t buy a Sony PC except maybe an MX model. They had DVD-RW drives Mini Disk recorders and yes MP3, Wave or WMA could be recorded to the MDD it was a little glitchy but cool as hell they also came with SD Pro memory stick readers PCMCIA in the front a remote a TV tuner card that could be used to capture video and burned onto a DVD the front had an LCD display that showed a status of what function you were using on the PC, in addition they also had an Audio card that had RCA outs and regular Speaker clamps on the back like a stereo, in addition it had a Radio FM/AM Receiver built into the PC the hole PC looked like a giant toaster and when you opened it up it was completely full, you had to remove the Audio Board, FM Tuner and the MDD drive just to see the Main Board.

vlad_a said:
[off topic]
CarbonIS300, what part of Sony do you work for? I have a gripe with half-wit techs that fixed/screwed up my laptop, as well as Sony designers that released my series of laptops with a design issue.

·
8,849 Posts
[off topic con't]
I feel you on not being able to get a job in the after 9/11 period.
I too have lost my programming job about a month prior to 9/11. It took me good 16 months to recover, having to work as a PC Tech and a Manager, which happens to be my "backup career." It is OK though, as I have learned even more about latest PC hardware, which is helping me now with my new project.

·
Registered
39 Posts
graph said:

Werd up...I got the same alarm with the same problem, but it's on my other car, which is a 97 GSX...and I only paid $360 for everything...If I can go back, I would've just installed a DEI product.....

·
8,849 Posts
^^^^
If you have the same problems, it would not matter which alarm system you have. :shame:

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
The compustar alarm is sweet....it is just the installers that is the problem.

My bro did his first alarm (the compustar) on my IS. Had a lot of questions and problems and Lisnup helped a ton. One day my bro will hopefully be as top notch as he!

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Its funny too, because you don't have to do anything to become an authorized reseller from compustar besides buying (I think it was) about 1-2g's worht of alarms.

I remember my bro's friends shop got their first one in, I called Compustar because I needed a part, and they were telling me how this shop is a "bunch of good guys" and "they should take care of me". Meanwhile, they've been open a month, and they are 2 people who never installed their product before...yet they backed them up like they were there for years

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
Werd up...I got the same alarm with the same problem, but it's on my other car, which is a 97 GSX...and I only paid $360 for everything...If I can go back, I would've just installed a DEI product.....
DEI's products will do nothing more except give you far less range. The problem you are having is with install and not the system itself.

The largest complaint with the Compustar systems are with the SS series. The battery life is terrible and the need to re-sync every now and then.

The 2 problems are easily explained and with good reason.

The battery life in the SS systems is because they use a transmitter that is seriously more powerful than conventional 400mhz systems. The FCC allowed them to use spreadspectrum is the 900Mhz zone which allows for a more powerful transmitter. As with anything electronic, it takes power to make power, thus for range of upto 1.25 miles you must sacrifice battery life.

The same goes for the re-sync. Not only does the system code hope, but like a cordless phone, it has 50 different channels that can use for transmission and receive. Every push of the button it changes channel not once, but twice. Each push of the button actually sends out 2 transmissions. With this technology at its current stage, you may lose sysn between the antenna and the remote transmitter thus the need for the re-sync of the transmitter to the system. Its very easy to do and with future production these concerns are to be addressed. Remember that this is a 100% FCC legal device that also must comply to FCC rules of interferance.

These minor complaints for range that is upto 4.5x that of its nearest competitor. 2Way systems are about range period. What good is having a 2 way system without the capability to reach you when you are more than 1000' from your car.

Please note that I also sell DEI, and Prestige products and have a first hand expirence with all of them.

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
mattssi said:
Its funny too, because you don't have to do anything to become an authorized reseller from compustar besides buying (I think it was) about 1-2g's worht of alarms.

I remember my bro's friends shop got their first one in, I called Compustar because I needed a part, and they were telling me how this shop is a "bunch of good guys" and "they should take care of me". Meanwhile, they've been open a month, and they are 2 people who never installed their product before...yet they backed them up like they were there for years
If they had the same name as another shop that happens alot. I have a company that I deal with that non-stop gets me confused with another shop here in WI(other side of state) with the same name. I receive orders all the time from them. I was even cut off once for a delinquent account that was theirs.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.