Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I followed the guide of installing an amp through the audio overhaul thread, but I ran into problems I could not figure out. Setup is a 250/1 JL amp with a 10w3 JL woofer. Heres what I've done.

1. Ran power wire correctly to the trunk along passanger side.
2. Ran remote wire through driver's side (connected to Ignition wire from radio harness - red wire)
3. Used a line-out converter, and connected all 4 wires to both rear speakers
4. RCAs from line-out into Amp's RCA inputs
5. Power and ground work on the amp

When I plug the negative terminal back on my battery, the amp turns on automatically for about 30 seconds, and when I plug in my woofer, it just vibrates louder and louder. When my amp turns off, and I turn on my ignition, the amp remains off. I checked the fuse on the power cable, and the fuse on the amp, and everything looks fine. I didnt have this issue when I owned a prelude with an aftermarket deck. Any help is greatly apperciated.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
I believe the wire for the amp lead is blue. That might be a problem.

Also, check your connections on the LOC. Maybe you switched a wire or two.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, my remote wire is blue. i just said red wire to make sure peole knew i was referring to the ignition wire on the harness. i'll double check the LOC connections tonight, but can you explain why the woofer would just vibrate non stop when the amp actually was powered.

·
Premium Member
11,398 Posts
yea, my remote wire is blue. i just said red wire to make sure peole knew i was referring to the ignition wire on the harness. i'll double check the LOC connections tonight, but can you explain why the woofer would just vibrate non stop when the amp actually was powered.
It would seem like there is a problem with the signal which is why I wanted you to check your LOC connections.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
So I followed the guide of installing an amp through the audio overhaul thread, but I ran into problems I could not figure out. Setup is a 250/1 JL amp with a 10w3 JL woofer. Heres what I've done.

1. Ran power wire correctly to the trunk along passanger side.
2. Ran remote wire through driver's side (connected to Ignition wire from radio harness - red wire)
3. Used a line-out converter, and connected all 4 wires to both rear speakers
4. RCAs from line-out into Amp's RCA inputs
5. Power and ground work on the amp

When I plug the negative terminal back on my battery, the amp turns on automatically for about 30 seconds, and when I plug in my woofer, it just vibrates louder and louder. When my amp turns off, and I turn on my ignition, the amp remains off. I checked the fuse on the power cable, and the fuse on the amp, and everything looks fine. I didnt have this issue when I owned a prelude with an aftermarket deck. Any help is greatly apperciated.
The ignition wire is NOT the red wire in the radio harness, it is the GREY wire in the radio harness. I'm assuming you're still using the stock HU

·
Registered
962 Posts
the vibration from the sub is most likely since the amp is powered up, but the source (stock cd player) is not on so that there is no signal going to the amp.

this happens when you're using a turn on source that's independent from the signal source.

it didn't happen in the prelude with the aftermarket deck, since the turn on from that is controlled by the source unit.

next time you try it, make sure that there is something playing on the headunit.

Reactions: Johnnysks

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
is there a good source in the trunk area that i can tap into for my remote wire?
It sounds like you already have a turn on wire running from the HU to the trunk. And again I'm assuming you are still using the stock HU, why don't you just try the GREY wire in the radio harness? I'll guarantee that that is a 12V accessory wire going to the stock HU. No harm in trying this if you have everything setup already.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Problem solved. Turns out the T-connectors used for the remote wire on the radio harness wasnt connecting well, so I just changed the connection. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts