Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help me with this problem? I need to run a video cable from my computer in the trunk to my dash where the stock housing sits.. but..

1) The screen i'm sure (Farenheit T7001mhr) doesn't have VGA IN but it has RCA IN..

2) how do i extend a cable that long and then convert it to RCA in?

Or if i'm doing this completely wrong someone fill me in please.. thanks.

·
8,880 Posts
Where is your VGA-RCA modulator in? Is it built in or is it external? If it is external, all you need is to buy a VGA extention cable. If not, just use a longer RCA cable, or get an extention cable for it.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
dskang100 said:
Can anyone help me with this problem? I need to run a video cable from my computer in the trunk to my dash where the stock housing sits.. but..

1) The screen i'm sure (Farenheit T7001mhr) doesn't have VGA IN but it has RCA IN..

2) how do i extend a cable that long and then convert it to RCA in?

Or if i'm doing this completely wrong someone fill me in please.. thanks.
As for running the cable, that part is easy. open your trunk and on the passenger side, pull a few tabs out of the material and you will see a hole, almost under the speaker, but its where the back seat leans against. That hole leads to the side of the back seat. If you stick a ruler in there, you can guide a wire thru there. Then run it down the side of the seat, it will be covered by the seat pressed against the side of the car. Then down the door sill. You can pull up those plastic door things and run it under there. Then up to the front seat under that plastic piece and up and behind the glove box and into your nav housing. You can pull the pins out of your glove box for a better look at how to get to your nav. Now I typed this without being at my car, I have a long dual RCA cable going from the back of my car to my glove box although I am not using it. Its completely hidden. Then all you will need is a converter.
I wanted to do what you are doing (computer) but I found out my DVD player also plays mpeg files without making them into vcds, so I can put a cd with a combination of mp3s, and mpg video files and watch them or listen to them, so its cool. Ill keep my pocket Pc for the other stuff.
I might post a pic or two when I get to my car.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys.. i found out that the motherboard of the computer i'm using can easily be switched over to do RCA out because there's already an RCA port behind it by just switching a jumper over.. so i guess all i gotta do is run a really really long RCA cable from my trunk into the dash. I have two more questions though..

1) Will having that really long RCA cable do anything to the image quality or anything? or will it just be normal..

2) I downloaded the nav housing instructions word document file and at the end there's this part..

"The wiring goes as follows:

(12v+) - Top right corner pin of the large plug
(Acc.) - Bottom right corner pin of the large plug
(Ground) - Bottom left corner pin of the large plug "

I know the exact locations of these pins, but what am i supposed to connect to those pins? The farenheit monitor? And what is ACC? (Accesory)? what is ACC for?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys.. i found out that the motherboard of the computer i'm using can easily be switched over to do RCA out because there's already an RCA port behind it by just switching a jumper over.. so i guess all i gotta do is run a really really long RCA cable from my trunk into the dash. I have two more questions though..

1) Will having that really long RCA cable do anything to the image quality or anything? or will it just be normal..

2) I downloaded the nav housing instructions word document file and at the end there's this part..

I know the exact locations of these pins, but what am i supposed to connect to those pins? The farenheit monitor? And what is ACC? (Accesory)? what is ACC for?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
dskang100 said:

Use the wiring diagram in the following link
http://www.is300.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13348055
Those connections will power the motor on the nav housing. Your monitor will need its own power. Think of the 12V+ and the Ground as being your power, the ACC is an alternate power when the key is turned off. When its hooked up correctly, if you have the nav open and you turn off the key the nav door will close automatically.

·
13,978 Posts
dskang100 said:

you can actually just use the same lines in the back of your stock stereo to wire these into.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
oneeyejack said:
dskang100 said:

you can actually just use the same lines in the back of your stock stereo to wire these into.
yeah here's a picture of mine. Before I taped them back up with some electrical tape. Notice I cut them in different locations so less chance of them touching later thru the tape.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What do you mean by i can just use the same lines? Like to power the nav housing motor i can just wire tap those lines for the stock HU?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah here's a picture of mine. Before I taped them back up with some electrical tape. Notice I cut them in different locations so less chance of them touching later thru the tape.
Where are those wires that are in that picture? What are those for?.... lol i'm such a newb undertaking a huge project..

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
behind the radio if you unplug the plug that you see in the picture, those are the wires that go to it. and if you use the wire guide, it breaks down the colors of each wire. So you need a 12V+ and a ground and a ACC. Well if you look at the wire guide it list all the wires that go to the radio by color and by what they are, ACC, Ground, etc. So just solder into those. I read it all from .net. Including a post about soldering into the wires for a good contact, I didn't even think of that. I didn't break the wires, just soldered on to them.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh in the navigation housing guide it says something in the end about the 2 large connectors on the circuit board.. like "you can either solder them on or use small female connectors.."

Do you guys know where i can get small female connectors that fit this circuit board?..

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks thedon, what i did was went out to advance auto parts and bought a piggyback mini fuse so i'm gonna tap into the dome light for the ACC, then for ground just find any bolt, and for the 12v i'm gonna use the cig lighters.. props to Nick(Greekgod) for helping out so much .. ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts