Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so I live in southeastern wisconsin. I have a greddy exhaust. i got pulled over about a month ago and got a ticket for illegal exhaust. he couldnt tell me what was illegal about it just that it was illegal. i even asked him if it was because it was too loud and he said no.

so the d.a. ruled that i have to fix it and show her a picture of my car before and after. there is no way i am going to go buy an oem exhaust to put on my car just to clear this ticket.

so what i need help with is if somebody out here has or can take a pic of their dwp (diamond white pearl) IS from the rear showing stock exhaust.

thank you very much for your help. you are saving me trouble and money.

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
the stock exhaust looks aftermarket as hell! how is this going to work?

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
not even dude. i can get a picture of my very stock exhaust with a 4 inch tip on it stock from the factory. in fact, when i went 3 inch straight pipe i was disapointed because my tip didn't even come close to filling up the exhaust opening in the bumper.

·
Registered
534 Posts
the exhaust opening in the bumper is huge. ur telling me ur stocker exhaust has a 4 inch tip?
The stock exhaust does not have a 4inch tip.

I think you should try to figure out the laws in your state to see if after market exhausts are illegal.

If you KNOW you're in the right then fight the ticket.

Talk to those "Ticket" lawyers, you get free consultations.

Oh, and what the other guy was trying to say earlier is that the stock exhaust does look kinda of big. I have random people ask me "How is your exhaust so quiet, what brand is it" Lmao.!:p

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Oh no photoshop = more trouble. I would suggest to get in touch with a local member here and transfer the tag then take a picture. The bad thing is mostly they have aftermarket exhaust too LoL.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yea I have been to court 3 times and talked to the D.A. twice with a lawyer. They arent budging on anything at all. I even asked if I could just pay the ticket I got. They said no it has to be fixed.

Originally they wanted a receipt from the parts and the labor i paid for to have it done. I said are you serious? my 3 yr old brother can change an exhaust on a car there is no way im taking my car somewhere to have this work done. let alone paying hundreds of dollars for a new oem exhaust.

And to answer your law question. I guess in wisconsin modifying any part of your car is basically illegal. its a pretty vag rule so they can pretty much give you a ticket for anything they want.

So now basically the D.A. wants me to fax them a picture of before and after i fixed it and a receipt of the parts i bought to fix it.

·
Premium Member
23,141 Posts
Ever think of finding someone with stick axleback laying around in your area? I know there are TONS of Milwaukee members with modded IS'. I have MY stock axleback laying around. But alas I'm in St Louis.

·
Premium Member
7,958 Posts
If you think it's B.S, then just throw the ticket away. I am not sure where the whining is coming from but if a fix-it ticket is that important to spend the 30-40 to get a used OEM exhaust and throw it on.

I am pretty sure the court will want a picture of the entire rear end with a plate showing the picture. He might even ask for a repair receipt. Just swap the exhaust out and take a picture.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have you read any of the previous posts in this thread? How is throwing the ticket away gonna help at all? Its not a fix-it ticket. Its a regular $90 some dollar illegal exhaust ticket. In going to court and talking to them trying to get it dropped they are making me fix it.

That is exactly what they are asking hence the point of this thread in trying to get someone to take a picture of the rear of their white IS with a stock exhaust. I got the receipt part taken care of. Just need the picture.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I don't know about the exhaust laws where you are, but what exhaust do you have? Is it carb legal? Greddy is usually good about their exhaust being legal. I assume that since you went to court they have told you why it is illegal?

I agree with what the others have said about looking for a local member to help you out. Just borrow their stock exhaust and put it on. It should take no more than a couple minutes. As for proof of buying the exhaust, just do a hand written bill of sale and tell them you got it off craigslist.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
if all they need is a picture just pull off your exhaust and find a muffler off anything that looks like it would come stock (doesnt have to be an is300 muffler) coat hanger it up, take a picture and then put your greddy back on and fax the pictures

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well thats the thing. Ive been to court multiple times already and they cant give me a reason why its illegal. They say its because its not the original. Thats all they tell me.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.