Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a very hard decision to make. Here is the situation. Right now I currently own a 2000 Honda Civic Si with supercharger etc etc etc.

Anyways, I always told myself that when I bought the IS300, I would wait until the manual version came out to buy it. I will be selling my car within the next week, and now I feel like I just can't wait. Let me tell you guys that I have driven manual cars all of my life, and I have also told myself that I would NEVER buy an automatic car. I want the IS300 so bad that I am willing to get the car in auto. I guess what I am trying to ask is, do you guys think I should try to stick it out and by the manual for what $35k+ or buy a 2001 IS300 for $29k??? And risk the performance loss on getting the auto instead of getting the manual and save some money?? AHHH I can't decide I just want the damn car and don't want to wait
Sorry I needed to vent.

What would you guys do???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,766 Posts
You need to sit on this for a few more days. Sounds like to me you're running on your emotions right now. If you truely want a stick, you'll regret it six months after the initial "new car high" has subsided.

If it's any help though, I've driven a stick most of my life until this car, and I don't miss it. On top of that, I love the eshift. It's the perfect balance of sport and convenience, especially during traffic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,494 Posts
I agree. I think you need to take some time and decide what is most important to you.

You'll save some money by getting the 2001, but do you really want to make that sacrifice? It sounds like you really want the manual. Because if you decide you would have rather had the manual and go to trade in the 01 for the 02, you'll lose more than $6K.

I'm feeling the regret right now. I HAD to have the IS back in November, but then it sat in the garage most of the winter while I drove my old car. If I had waited until now to buy it, I would have gotten a better deal - no question in my mind.

Hey if you get the 01, just use the $6K you'll save for a turbo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by SilverLex:
You need to sit on this for a few more days. Sounds like to me you're running on your emotions right now. If you truely want a stick, you'll regret it six months after the initial "new car high" has subsided.

If it's any help though, I've driven a stick most of my life until this car, and I don't miss it. On top of that, I love the eshift. It's the perfect balance of sport and convenience, especially during traffic.
This is so true. I guess I am in it for the performance. I mean hell, I am only 21 yrs old but I feel that if I get the auto, I wouldn't even bother spending too much money on modding the car up. And yes I guess I do, have to sit on this, but everyday I see an IS it make me want one MORE


Originally posted by is300girl:
I agree. I think you need to take some time and decide what is most important to you. You'll save some money by getting the 2001, but do you really want to make that sacrifice? It sounds like you really want the manual. Because if you decide you would have rather had the manual and go to trade in the 01 for the 02, you'll lose more than $6K.

I'm feeling the regret right now. I HAD to have the IS back in November, but then it sat in the garage most of the winter while I drove my old car. If I had waited until now to buy it, I would have gotten a better deal - no question in my mind.

Hey if you get the 01, just use the $6K you'll save for a turbo.
This is true too. Damn, I just don't know what I am going to do. I mean if I sell my car this week then I will have to drive the old POS around until Aug/Sep when the 2002 IS300 comes out. Another thing though, everyone says that the new IS is going to be the same price.... I think it will probably be more. I don't know maybe I will just have to hold back and wait for the manual. But I will only be able to drive the car for a month or two before it would be shacked up for the winter
Anyone have anymore enlightenment for me


[ May 11, 2001: Message edited by: NuBluIS300 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,494 Posts
Originally posted by NuBluIS300:
is300girl

Do you know where Tinley Park is?? What part of chicago are you from??
Of course I know where Tinley Park is! Home of The World Music Theater! I actually live in Palatine and work in Schaumburg.

WDSKUK is also from Tinley Park I believe.


Make sure you check the All Together Now Forum from time to time for info on upcoming Chicago meets. We haven't had one for about a month, so it's about time for another one. Welcome to the board!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
I was in the EXACT predicament that you are currently in. I wanted to wait until the 2002 to get the manual because i've driven a manual all of my life. but then i no longer had a car because of circumstances beyond my control so i had no choice but to get the 2001. the thought of getting the 2001 didn't bother me as much because (1) i needed a car (2) the deals on the 2001 are great (3) when the 2002's come out they will sell for MSRP (4) i thought the e-shift would give me a manual feel. now that i've had the car for 2 weeks, i miss driving a manual. the e-shift is not a sufficient substitute for a manual. driving is now not as exciting as when i had my manual accord. Even though my old accord had considerably less power, i felt more involvment when driving from point A to point B. with the IS300, i feel i am just traveling from point A to point B. I'm not sure if that makes sense. it's hard to explain.

however, I do not regret getting the IS300 at all. there's more pluses to this car to cover the lack of a manual. it just pisses me off that toyota, for whatever reason, didn't include a manual for the 2001.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by louiee_g:
I was in the EXACT predicament that you are currently in. I wanted to wait until the 2002 to get the manual because i've driven a manual all of my life. but then i no longer had a car because of circumstances beyond my control so i had no choice but to get the 2001. the thought of getting the 2001 didn't bother me as much because (1) i needed a car (2) the deals on the 2001 are great (3) when the 2002's come out they will sell for MSRP (4) i thought the e-shift would give me a manual feel. now that i've had the car for 2 weeks, i miss driving a manual. the e-shift is not a sufficient substitute for a manual. driving is now not as exciting as when i had my manual accord. Even though my old accord had considerably less power, i felt more involvment when driving from point A to point B. with the IS300, i feel i am just traveling from point A to point B. I'm not sure if that makes sense. it's hard to explain.

however, I do not regret getting the IS300 at all. there's more pluses to this car to cover the lack of a manual. it just pisses me off that toyota, for whatever reason, didn't include a manual for the 2001.
I understand what you are saying... I am also pissed that toyota didn't make a manual 2001 IS300. I mean hell, look at the IS200 in europe... you have the option of a 5 or 6speed manual transmission. What would be so hard to have just used the same technology but apply it to the 3.0L IS300? I guess there was alot of things involved.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,187 Posts
Originally posted by NuBluIS300:
Hey guys I have a very hard decision to make. Here is the situation. Right now I currently own a 2000 Honda Civic Si with supercharger etc etc etc.

Anyways, I always told myself that when I bought the IS300, I would wait until the manual version came out to buy it. I will be selling my car within the next week, and now I feel like I just can't wait. Let me tell you guys that I have driven manual cars all of my life, and I have also told myself that I would NEVER buy an automatic car. I want the IS300 so bad that I am willing to get the car in auto. I guess what I am trying to ask is, do you guys think I should try to stick it out and by the manual for what $35k+ or buy a 2001 IS300 for $29k??? And risk the performance loss on getting the auto instead of getting the manual and save some money?? AHHH I can't decide I just want the damn car and don't want to wait
Sorry I needed to vent.

What would you guys do???
Remember, it's 6 grand not just for a manual, but for an actual armrest, possible navigation, firmer suspension and possibly 18 inch rims, (though I hear those won't likely be readily available. However if you can get a 01' for $29k brand new, that's a bargain. Which dealer will sell it for $29K? Is that loaded?

[ May 11, 2001: Message edited by: Michael ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but Have you test driven the auto IS300(pushed it)? What are your thoughts?? I find the auto much easier to deal with in heavy traffic and in the winter driving months...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,494 Posts
Originally posted by Heck:
I find the auto much easier to deal with in heavy traffic and in the winter driving months...

Winter? Traffic? In Chicago? It NEVER snows here and there's never any traffic either. Hee hee.


Hey, welcome to the board!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,062 Posts
Originally posted by is300girl:
[QB]
Winter? Traffic? In Chicago? It NEVER snows here and there's never any traffic either. Hee hee.
/QB]

I think that's like: "Rain? Traffic? In Seattle? It NEVER rains here and there's never any traffic either."

Yeah, in a pig's eye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Isn't that why Boeing's leaving us and moving to Chicago?
Traffic sux - yup we're #2 in the nation for the worst traffic... again.
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
11,062 Posts
Originally posted by Watcher:
Isn't that why Boeing's leaving us and moving to Chicago?
Traffic sux - yup we're #2 in the nation for the worst traffic... again.
I hate to admit it, but I'm hoping for a very cold, long winter for Chicago. I think the Boeing execs deserve to freeze their petooties.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
Just like everyone else said..buy it now and save some money. If it's goimg to be a daily driver/commuter, the auto is nice. I still like driving a stick, but I thoroughly enjoy driving my IS...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by Michael:
However if you can get a 01' for $29k brand new, that's a bargain. Which dealer will sell it for $29K? Is that loaded?

[ May 11, 2001: Message edited by: Michael ]
Yep that is loaded!! I went to arlington heights lexus I think I will have to double check....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I traded in a 1990 Nissan 300ZX TT, 5spd for my IS00 and was scared shtless of the thought of an auto. I could have waited till Nov. and coughed up the extra $5k for manual, but I picked up the $399 lease and have not looked back


The eshift is pretty much useless, and there is something to be said about driving involvement and a 5spd.

Well, going on three weeks and I am extremely pleased at my decision
I just looked at it like there is not a man offered, so it is not an option!
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
mrmojo
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing
Top