Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys and girls all this talk about camber and under and oversteer is scaring me a bit haha.

Im trying to figure out what suspension set up will work best for me and i was hoping I could recieve some input from some people that know what they are talking about.

My first thing is that i have 19X 8 (front) and 19 X9.5 (rear) iforged wheels. (offset is iforged recmd. offset)

I want to buy the following:
1. Springs
2. Shocks
3. Swaybars
4. A front PLP strut bar if needed.

Now i was thinking i would buy H & R springs with koni yellows with hotckis sways ...but i have no idea how this set up would work or handle. I want my baby to handle good so im just a bit scared about the amount of tire on the ground as well as overall handling. What do you all think and what are your suggestions.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Did you do a search? I bet someone has the the exact same setup as you want, (or close to it). Anyway, to answer your question, what you want all depends on what you intend to do (i.e. tracking or autoxing your car, or improved street handling.)

I think before you start buying all/any of these suspension mods, I highly recommend you participate in either an autox course (Solo2.com) or a track event (i.e. Streets of Willow) to get a feel as to what the limit of the car is. Only then will you know what you exactly need.

If you feel that you already reached the limit, the H&R/Koni combo is good. With the 19's you got, the wheel may be tucked in a bit.

Hotchkis make pretty good quality parts as well. No experience with them though only the L-Tuned Sways.

As for the PLP strut bars, they look fairly nice. You won't notice any major difference with them unless you're on a track. Take this FWIW.

·
Registered
670 Posts
First of all, H&R with Koni shocks and Hotchkis sways work very well.... I have couple friends who has that setup and they are really happy with out....

and next thing is, did you consider getting coil-over at all?

Like speedsetup said, it all depend on your driving styly, and how you want your car to be handled....

I ended up adjusting my set up at the autocross, as I have chance to drive agressively in the track, and I'm veey happy with my JIC FLT-A2s with Hotchkis sways..... and I konw H&R with Koni and with either TRD or Hotchkis sways brings very good outcome as well..

Hope this helps....

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i am constantly pushing my car to the limits if that helps. and coilovers are to expensive, unless i get a good deal; somewhere. I almost had a good deal on some hks ones but it didnt go through. I want the maximum performance possible.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
o im sorry my question is would this be the best set up for me if i want to push my car as hard as i can and also somewhere i read something about tire wear (because of dropping the car too much) and camber issues but i dont know what the heck those are affected by.

·
Registered
6,239 Posts
well...i've had pretty even tire wear even though I haven't gotten an alignment. the thing with H&R's is that it doesn't drop you to the point where your suspension geometry will be so far off tire wear is a huge deal. the main thing u don't want is TOE...thats what rips your tires apart. Negative camber is fine...

if you're worried about that...this set up is fine...

one thing to keep in mind is no matter how good your suspension is...it's only as good as your tires can hold. the stiffer you are, the better your tires need to be.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
like danielm said in his post,

i would like to know what you all think would be the best possible set up for my car which already has 19X8 and 19X9.5 wheels on it... coilovers, springs, shocks, struts, anything you think, i am open to hear about...

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Pretty much a repeat of some ^ posts...

I have the PLP front strut bar, TRD Sway, Koni Shocks and H&R Spring combo. I know other local folks who have the same setup...we all LOVE them. The only part I would be willing to substitute is the TRD sways for the new Hotchkis ones.

The addition of the PLP bar made my car off balance. The rear gets all bent out of shape now and then. I would suggest you get the rear at the same time you get the front.

I'm still using my stock wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.