Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background...I have a 2003 IS300 with the stock head unit, JL Audio 13" W7, JL Audio 1000.1, custom sealed enclosure, dynamat'd the trunk, some old Pioneer mids and hi's(that are now barely worth listening to), and a busted Kicker 600.4 amp running them.

The reason i say busted is because periodically when playing music the mids and hi's stop outputting the music and produce sounds that mimic the engine sound as well as some loud popping(like a sound clip of a driveby shooting). When my system is working I listen to hip hop(fatty bass a plus), Metal(Megadeth mostly), and Rock.

side question:
when the bass hits in my car there is a noticeable dim in all the lights inside of my car. I've been told I need to get my alternator rewound to atleast 135 amps and replace my car battery with a more heavy duty one like the Optima Red Top. Is this the way to go? Any of you guys have this problem? Suggestions?

Finally, the main reason for this thread, I am looking for some Hi's, mids and a 4 channel amp to replace my current stuff.

My budget is flexible(trying to keep it <$1000....hopefully) and am not looking to buy the ultra cheap stuff but rather something that would go well with my current set up. I am willing to pay the extra money for the mid to higher end stuff as long as the performance/reliability to price ratio is really high, therefore justifying the expense. I also don't need to have the best stuff in the world(unless it can be done without leaving me bankrupt).

I went to a car audio shop a while back and the guy suggested:

Diamond Audio S600a - Diamond Audio HEX 6.5" Components ( which > aluminum or silk tweeter?)

JL Audio XR650CSi - JL Audio 6.5 XR Series Component

Boston Acoustics Pro60

MB Quart QSD216 - MB Quart Q-Series 6.5" Component

It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could recommend specific brand and models for each Hi, Mid and 4 channel amp that you guys like, as well as some good car audio sites that sell these products at low prices.

Thank you all for your time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
update

Concerning my present engine whining sound coming from the speakers, I came across this info

>>>Engine whine and ground loop fixes... take two - Car Audio Forum - CarAudio.com

going to give those fixes a shot tomorrow during the day.

If this does fix my problem then I might only be in the market for some components and can run them with my current kicker KX600.4

Any suggestions for components that would pair up well with my kicker KX600.4 amp?
kicker KX600.4 manual
http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-support/manuals/manuals/02KX300_600_800_4Manual.pdf

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
alll ready covered 10000000 times
Then why don't you be nice and give the man the answers to his questions ? Since it's been covered ten million times you should be able to answer him very quickly.

I'm in the middle of typing something for marketing research or I would help him myself.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Since douche cushin is too cool to help you and I finished my work I'll help ya out :)

The guy at the shop told you no lie; all those 6.5 component systems are fairly nice. Most of them will cost an arm and a leg though...all except the Diamond Audio Hex. I would go with those if I were you. The kind with the silk dome tweeter is smoother sounding and in my opinion better. You can get that set for $200 online at sonicelectronix.com
I buy tons of stuff from them all the time, great place.

I would ditch the 4 channel amp and get a 2 channel. The W7 and the 1000/1 have your sub stage covered so all you need is a good component set and you will be good to go. I would go with the 2 channel PDX amp that alpine makes (PDX-2.150). It's small and efficient which would be good for you and your dimming lights ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since douche cushin is too cool to help you and I finished my work I'll help ya out :)

The guy at the shop told you no lie; all those 6.5 component systems are fairly nice. Most of them will cost an arm and a leg though...all except the Diamond Audio Hex. I would go with those if I were you. The kind with the silk dome tweeter is smoother sounding and in my opinion better. You can get that set for $200 online at sonicelectronix.com
I buy tons of stuff from them all the time, great place.

I would ditch the 4 channel amp and get a 2 channel. The W7 and the 1000/1 have your sub stage covered so all you need is a good component set and you will be good to go. I would go with the 2 channel PDX amp that alpine makes (PDX-2.150). It's small and efficient which would be good for you and your dimming lights ;)

Cool thank you very much for your recommendations!

I can't remember where i read it but someone was saying that since Diamond Audio was bought out about a year ago their speakers are no longer being produced in house(USA) and instead in China i think. Because of this i heard the quality of the speakers has gone down.

^this is all hear say so definitely feel free to drop the knowledge if this isn't the case.

Also i was curious why (other than the efficiency of a smaller amp) you suggested getting a 2 channel amp rather than bridging my 4 channel?

Thank you for your time

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Cool thank you very much for your recommendations!

I can't remember where i read it but someone was saying that since Diamond Audio was bought out about a year ago their speakers are no longer being produced in house(USA) and instead in China i think. Because of this i heard the quality of the speakers has gone down.

^this is all hear say so definitely feel free to drop the knowledge if this isn't the case.

Also i was curious why (other than the efficiency of a smaller amp) you suggested getting a 2 channel amp rather than bridging my 4 channel?

Thank you for your time
If your current amp still works then by all means, use what you have. I thought it was broken.

The Diamond Audio Hex series are a very nice set of components. For the $200 and under range their hard to beat. I've read a bunch of reviews on those in particular and I have yet to hear anything negative.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The diamonds are great stuff. A Buddy of mine is a rep for them and has nothing but impressive stuff. Amp wise, I was goingto tell you the same as Italyn, Apline PDX amps. Thats all I run now. I haven't had the chance to get my alternator re-wounded yet and you can hardley tell in the headlights when the bass hits. The amps are very efficient and produce very little heat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts