Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am buying new tires and lookng to spend as little as possible and still maintain performance. I am torn between Kuhmo and Nitto, but leaning toward the Kuhmo 712s.

Anyone have any real experience with either one?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
i haven't had any experiences with the kumho's but i only hear good things about them, check http://tirerack.com they also offer the kumho ecsta mx which is a little more expensive though, give them a call, they know their shit

·
Registered
3,397 Posts
I have Nitto 555's, and after about 2 months with these tires, I agree with Lexus IS300....................wet handling is scary, dry handling is good, but not great...............

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had some Nitto 555 225/40 18" on my old accord with RH Evo C5, the wet tracktion is a big fat zero, I would not suggest Nitto 555s.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I had Nitto 555's in size 245/40 17's on my mustang. I was on the highway, hit a puddle, spun around 3 times and ended up stuck in around a foot of mud and rain in the median. I was going around 55 at the time (this was on I75, a 70mph highway), and on tires that were a few months old. I would (and have) avoided buying them after that. It could have been my driving, but based on the previous posts about wet handling, I'm thinking other people have had problems as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Nitto Suck!!!!! Why 1st day i got my brand new Blitz z1's the Nitto Nt555 blewout!!! I complained and they did replace the tire for free. Finally got my tire back about 3 months later. then first few days were fine and BAM Another tire blew out!!!!! THey suck, no grip, No tread life. They also partly caused 2 wrecks due to bad perforamce. :pissed:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I spoke with a few people and rather than go with Kuhmo, I have chosen the Falken Ziex 512. I was looking to keep the cost for 4 around $400 out the door and these have gotten great remarks from a couple of friends running them on 3 series bimmers so they are being installed tomorrow AM.

I'll post any negative or positve feedback for anyone that is interested.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Kumho Supra Ecsta 700's are very good tires for the money. Perhaps the best overall-performance-to-price ratio. I have zero complaints about them and plan on using them for my street tires from now on.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I went with the Falken 512s. The cost was more inline with what I was looking to spend compared to the Potenzas, and after running them pretty hard last night, they are not bad for a $100 tire, in fact they were much better than I really thought they'd be. I could have spent $1,000 and gotten better tires obviously but I really don't hit it that hard. I am working alot and traveling with work so I don't have the time :D to be driving hard everyday.

·
Registered
416 Posts
blueIS said:
why not bridgeston potenza re-s03's or s02's...
too expensive?
Yes.

The S-02's I once had wore pretty fast and were indeed better than any other true street tire in terms of grip, but not that[i/] much better for the premium they used to command. Fortunately, I bought them relatively cheap.

Besides, they're nothing compared to competion or near-competition (Falken Azenis Sport and Kumho MX) tires. They just fall along the same continuum of wear vs. grip from rock-hard all-seasons to sticky race-slicks. I mean, you can go with near-competition tires if you trade a bit more wear for a bit more grip, but pay a whole lot less. Or you can go with a downgrade from max-performance tires and trade off a bit less grip for a bit less wear, and also pay a whole lot less.

Do you see the problem? There's no good reason why max-performance tires should suddenly be expensive as all get-out.

So I keep two sets, a daily-driver set and a racing/play set. Except for the extra wheels that are needed, it only costs a bit more than one set of max-performance tires.

·
Guru of Supercharged ISs
8,744 Posts
I think this is the best idea yet .... i've been thinking along those lines too but concerning the stock graphite wheels /dunlop sp9000's in the garage
i was gonna sell them but mabey i'll just keep them, & make them track
wheels.... eventually getting some Azenis or ??.....

but......................aren't the stock wheels kinda heavy for 17's...?? what is avg weight these days for a good reliable 17in. wheel not he fanciest but an affordable set....??

edG

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
14 Participants
edgy
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing