Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do we need FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER?
if so, how often should we use it?
i used to put them on my old car with Chevron's fuel injector cleaner.
does the brand matters?
which brand is better? or its just basically the same?

thank you

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by IS3:
do we need FUEL INJECTOR CLEANER?
if so, how often should we use it?
i used to put them on my old car with Chevron's fuel injector cleaner.
does the brand matters?
which brand is better? or its just basically the same?

thank you
Using injector cleaners are definitely an advantage.....

I suggest using it every 3000 miles or so (or after every engine oil change, because it's easier to remember)

Brand definitely matters......Chevron is one of the better ones.....I've tried practically all brands and personally I think that Castrol Syntec fuel system cleaner works the best.......

Good luck

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I really doubt it....I know that you can have the service done......It's an aerosol can, and they simply disconnect the fuel supply and run the engine on that can.......Charge you an arm and a leg for that service but know what???? Don't even feel a difference.

Regularly maintaining the fuel system clean will render that service useless.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
the best i have ever used is...."44 k" . it works very well, it comes in a yellow and black cylinder, where you open it like a cat food can (a pull and peel top) . i would recommend it if you wanted to try something.

·
Registered
38,938 Posts
Originally posted by dude:
I really doubt it....I know that you can have the service done......It's an aerosol can, and they simply disconnect the fuel supply and run the engine on that can.......Charge you an arm and a leg for that service but know what???? Don't even feel a difference.

Regularly maintaining the fuel system clean will render that service useless.
That process is actually how it should be done, but only if you think your injectors are so clogged to the point that your car is performing badly. (Rough idle, hesitation, etc.) Most pro mechanics will use the can for that problem if you take the car in. However, a regular dose (every oil change) of an OTC injector cleaner should prevent the service. I use GumOut and STP and it works fine. Just about all of the brands are identical; they use the same detergent in all of them.

·
Registered
12,157 Posts
thanks, it is always good to be backed up by someone reputable.

Originally posted by Swift Racing Technologies:
IS300GTE, I must agree BG44K by far is one of the best out there, one can and you are good to go.

·
Registered
648 Posts
BG 44k is in liquid form, but is usually not sold at auto parts stores. It is usually found at shops-the only place I have seen it for sale is at Tunex. $40 or so a bottle.

Reactions: kayotik

·
Registered
246 Posts
actually I work at a dealer and we hook up a hose to a vacum port in the throttle body or intake manifold and let it slowly the BG intake cleaner down, i used it on my IS before I did a tune up and can honestly say after looking down the intake manifold that it looked shiny and brand new at 70K, all the carb build up ran down the back of the intake and got burned up, and I cleaned out my throttle body with throttle body cleaner

·
Registered
234 Posts
actually I work at a dealer and we hook up a hose to a vacum port in the throttle body or intake manifold and let it slowly the BG intake cleaner down, i used it on my IS before I did a tune up and can honestly say after looking down the intake manifold that it looked shiny and brand new at 70K, all the carb build up ran down the back of the intake and got burned up, and I cleaned out my throttle body with throttle body cleaner
this is actually a decarb or top engine clean, as opposed to an injector cleaner. (not trying to be jerk, but just clarifying.) a decarb does make an impressive cloud of smoke with all of the crap it pulls out of intake. we do use an adapter to run the car on a separate fuel cleaner. (disconnect fuel pump , etc.)

personally i don't really see a difference unless you have an injector that's really plugged or sticking. putting a can of cleaner in the tank once in a while should do a decent job. if you want run the cleaner with only a couple of gallons of gas in tank that would be closer to the dealership experience (you can burn a c-note at the same time to really feel like it ;) ). i did that to fix a sticking injector in one of my other cars, took a couple times (it was sticking bad) but it worked.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
uhm, i also recomend BG products. i use their MOA oil aditive aswell. every other oil change.

on a fairly new car an induction service isnt going to make that significant change. it should be done as periodic maintanence to prevent the drastic need later in life. on higher milage motors on the other hand it makes a huge differance. I did full fuel and induction service on my 92 corolla at 186000 miles. The full service (as suggested by BG) is a bottle of 44k in the tank, fuel rail service (which is actualy what cleans the injectors), a bottle of throtle body cleaner (directly spray down the throttle body, it cuts carbon and gunk out of it and cleans the throttle blades), and then the can of intake cleaner. The intake cleaner finishes off what the rail service and throttle body spray pushes into the intake, and into the cylinders. In this process it also cuts the gunk off of the valves, burning it all (or most anyway) off and pushing it out the exhaust. Bg doesnt recomend doing it on vehicles with really old catylitc converters, because all the carbon can clog it up. all the rolla had was a muffler heh.

Before the service the car got 26 mpg, after it got 34, and its still kick'n at 249861 miles. tranny slips a bit going into third tho heh. timing belt has actualy been replaced 4 times, and the valve seals done twice. Oil pan gasket once, and their was no metal in the pan at the time, think that was at about 200,000. no sludge, no goo. BG's products are awsome in my book and the car got baybied by no means lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
I think it's not recomemded to use fuel injection cleaner if you are using premium fuel for the car (93 or +), because it has additives in the premium fuel already to help clean fuel injectors. However, it is from the Mercedes owner's manuel.

·
Registered
648 Posts
BG 44k is in liquid form, but is usually not sold at auto parts stores. It is usually found at shops-the only place I have seen it for sale is at Tunex. $40 or so a bottle.
Sorry guys-I just bought a bottle today and it was $12. It turns out their advertised price of $40 or so was for them to put it in the tank. Nice markup Tunex...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry guys-I need to clarify. I just bought a bottle today and it was $12. It turns out their advertised price of $40 or so was for them to put it in the tank. Nice markup Tunex... An extra $28 just to put a funnel in your tank and pour something in??? :shocked:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Best stuff I ever used was Toyota EFI Cleaner, but you can no longer buy it in California.:( I now us Chevron Techron about every 5,000 miles. Did the same thing on a 85 MR-2 and it went 186,000 miles, when it was sold, without any injector problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts