Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a 2002 Sportcross,love it, but at 80269 mile the CEL light went on with a CEL code of po430 according to the dealer. They are saying I need a new exhaust system and want huge dollars for a new one. My first direction is going to try complain to lexus that though there is an 80000 mile warranty for emmisson controls, 80269 is close enough and that they should help me out. I am hoping they will support me but, as a back up plan ,I was planning on getting a used exhaust. In general, do muffler shops install used equipment if you buy all the pieces? I could however take this opportunity to put something on a little more aggressive sounding. I do not see full exhaust replacements for is300s , only cat back systems. Does anybody know of a full system replacement that is only slightly louder in case I choose to go this route but has all the cats on it?
Also, Does the OBD register when the code first appeared after the CEL is reset? (I reset it because I got tired of it staring at me). Thank you for your feedback. Dave

·
Registered
922 Posts
What part of the ehaust are they telling you to replace, you more than likely just have a o2 sensor gone bad. You will not get a code for anything past the header. So if you dont want a whole new exhaust dont get one the o2 sensors are a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Of course they want me to replace the entire thing and want $1500!. I like your O2 sensor idea. I will try that for starters. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
Check this out.

OBD-II Trouble Code: P0430 Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

If your cats are dead, you won't be able to find a used one, as I think it is illegal (unless you buy from another member here, and do it yourself). Other option is to ignore it, or get a O2 simulator.

Most aftermarket exhaust systems don't have anything to do with cats (hence cat-back), so getting an aftermarket exhaust system won't solve your CEL problem.

Now, if you get headers, you remove the cats anyways. The CEL will shine, but most people get the O2 simulator (to simulate that your cats are working fine), so the CEL light goes off.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts