Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '03 has about 144k and it needs a clutch. I am going to run the NA supra flywheel along with a SouthBend Clutch (unless anyone has a better option in mind). The engine is stock but I plan to run some low boost through the car at some point down the road for around 300 wtq.

SBC has a stage 1 daily rated for 235 wtq, or a stage 2 daily rated for 295 wtq. I'd like to run the latter but I'm wondering if "over-clutching" is anything I need to worry about. Also I'm wondering if I even need the stage 2 for 300wtq. 300 is pushing the oem NA Supra clutch to its limit, but the SBC stage 1 daily is upgraded with a stronger pressure plate compared to the stock clutch, so perhaps stage 1 will work? Also note that I'm wanting to protect the transmission as much as possible. Anyone have advice or previous experience to share with me? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I'm not familiar with South Bend Clutches, but I had a Clutchmasters rated for 550hp and a Drift Motion rated at 550hp - and both had nice easy pedal effort. Both were ceramic puck-style clutches, however, and engagement has harsh and chattery. I don't recommend ceramic pucks.

It'll take very little boost to hit 300wtq, so I definitely wouldn't install a clutch rated at 235wtq if boost is part of the plan.

Regarding your transmission: You'll need to be gentle on a W55 if you want it to live with boost.

·
Registered
2001 AR5 Swap, Built NA-T, Standalone
380 Posts
When do you really plan on boosting it? I wouldn't do anything too far over an OEM replacement type unless you're experiencing slip.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts