Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everybody. I've gradually gotten pretty fed up with how terrible the roads are where I live and decided I can't live with a bumpy ride anymore.

I've had the car lowered on Eibach springs with Koni yellows at the lower perch for a little over 2 years now. Initially, I never thought I would have any issues (comfort-wise) being on lowering springs and stiffer shocks, but the roads are awful. Huge potholes hide in the dark, poorly paved railway transitions are numerous, and some parking entrances are at such crazy angles with the road that even newer Tahoes and similar scrape. I've even seen manholes left without cover in the middle of the street without any warning. Surprisingly, these problems aren't what annoys me most though.

It's the constant small bumps everywhere have made me not enjoy driving the car as much. It makes me feel like I'm destroying it really. Even painted lines at intersections have been done so poorly that crossing over them jolts the car. I was thinking about returning my car to stock height (or at least stock shocks with Eibach springs) but the height isn't my issue. I never scrape the chassis, and rarely the plastic underhang at this point.

I've now been considering going back to 17s as opposed to the 18s I'm running now, hoping that would make a good enough difference to where I could justify keeping my current suspension. I'm not running rubber band tires by any means though, as you can see:

Tire Size/ Diameter (Inches)/ Sidewall (Inches)

215/45/17 (Stock) 24.62 3.81

225/40/18 (Current Front) 25.01 3.50
235/40/18 (Current Rear) 25.40 3.70

245/40/17 (Considering) 24.72 3.86

235/40/17 (Alternative) 24.40 3.70

I'm thinking my current tires aren't really that much a comfort hinderance, so would the 245/40/17s make that much of a difference? I put the 235/40/17 as an alternative because I'm not sure if I could clear the fenders even with more fender pulling.

Also, I've been running the tires around 32 psi (cold), so potentially 245s on 17s with 29 psi would show a reasonable comfort improvement while keeping the car lowered? I'm just trying to brainstorm here...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unfortunately, softer dampers might not appropriately damp stiffer springs - resulting in a bouncy ride.

Another thought are your anti-roll bars. If they are aftermarket, you could realize a nice improvement by swapping back to stock.
I never thought about a softer damper resulting in a bouncy ride when paired with lowering springs - it makes sense though. I read earlier threads of people doing this with the main concern being premature shock wear due to the springs imposing a shorter shock expansion, so this is really a last resort kinda thing.

I did consider switching my front sway bar back to stock and keeping the rear adjustable one in place. I believe that one is more important anyways. I'm glad I ended up going with Eibach as opposed to Hotchkis.

when you switch back to 17s, go with a softer sidewall tire, not something like RE71R
you can even go 16s with soft sidewall, you can even use the rs200 wheels, they come with 16s
This I overlooked, and will certainly take into account when looking for tires. I know 16s would be more comfortable, I just don't know if I want to go that small.. Beggars can't be choosers though.

But my only other idea is a set of coilovers with even softer springs. But you'd need even more suspension travel, which is decreased by lowering. Have you thought that maybe something has gotten worse over time as you've had it lowered? Maybe the bushings are going bad?
I did end up picking up a set of like-new Godspeed coilovers from a junkyard recently and have read good things about them for daily driving. I don't think they're performance oriented really and so there's a chance they could be more comfortable than my current setup. For around $150 I couldn't pass them up.

And all of the front suspension is new. It was pretty old when I got the car and after lowering I ended up replacing it all piece by piece. The front bushings were also replaced, but with polyurethane. To be fair though, they ended up making the ride more comfortable as I think the polyurethane wasn't as rigid as others.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts