Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it wouldn't be too much trouble...I need a small favor. If at some point over the weekend you could measure something for me, that would help out a ton. I have installed new headlights, and now my HID leveller is off, so my headlights are pointing way too high for nighttime driving. I've lowered my car close to 2 inches in the front...just FYI.

If you could pull up to your garage door, or some kind of wall...and measure EXACTLY how far up from the ground the lights should be. Also, please make note of how far you are from the wall...this way I can fix it manually at home.

Again, I would appreciate any help on this for sure. And if you could take a pic, that might help even more. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
Just measure from the ground to the center of your bulbs. Then make a mark on the garage door 6 inches lower than that. Then back off 30 feet and aim the top of the healight cutoffs on that mark. That will get you really close.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
as long as the light angles downward at 15 degrees you are legal... i think it's 15 degrees.. you can check on the number.. but that should be easy to measure..

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
I don't think the problem is the adjustement. You need to adjust the leveling sensors in the wheel wells to get the lights back to normal. Do a search on the HID leveling sensor to get it right.

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
I gathered that, but he still needs to know where to point the lights.

BTW, which way do you move that leveler adjuster for up and down?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
bartkat said:
I gathered that, but he still needs to know where to point the lights.

BTW, which way do you move that leveler adjuster for up and down?
They come pretty level from the factory. There is a guide in the user manual for how to level them...i believe it's from 30 feet away on a level surface.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SophieSleeps said:
I don't think the problem is the adjustement. You need to adjust the leveling sensors in the wheel wells to get the lights back to normal. Do a search on the HID leveling sensor to get it right.
I will check on that. One of my original thoughts was maybe the guy that installed my suspension would have messed with that on accident or something. But at the same time, I had Justin LCA575 take a brand new set of lights, and paint / DDE them. Maybe the levels were off in the actual hardware since they were taken apart completely?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
GraphIS300 said:
SophieSleeps said:
I will check on that. One of my original thoughts was maybe the guy that installed my suspension would have messed with that on accident or something. But at the same time, I had Justin LCA575 take a brand new set of lights, and paint / DDE them. Maybe the levels were off in the actual hardware since they were taken apart completely?
Shouldn't be. When you do a DDE install and when you paint the lights, you usually don't touch the leveling motor, so the level of the lights shouldn't change at all when you put it all back together.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
But what about the install on the suspension? Isn't the sensor right in the area he would have been working in? So maybe he messed with it a bit?

Cause here's another thing that's happening...when I turn on the car, I can see the passenger side auto level itself (it's off, but still does the up/down thing) but then the driver side moves a LIL bit, and appears as if it's trying to level, but it's struggling to move.

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
GraphIS300 said:
But what about the install on the suspension? Isn't the sensor right in the area he would have been working in? So maybe he messed with it a bit?

Cause here's another thing that's happening...when I turn on the car, I can see the passenger side auto level itself (it's off, but still does the up/down thing) but then the driver side moves a LIL bit, and appears as if it's trying to level, but it's struggling to move.
1. Check the leveling sensors in the wheel well
2. Check the headlight level
3. If it don't level correctly, teh DDE ring could be preventing the reflector from moving.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SophieSleeps said:
3. If it don't level correctly, teh DDE ring could be preventing the reflector from moving.
That might just be it. I will check these things...thanks to you all for your help. Hopefully I can get this thing figured out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts