Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,

My clutch has to be changed on my is300 2002. I'm looking for advices or suggestions from everyone. I would like to know from your pevious experiences. I'm also not sure if I should change the flywheel while I'm there.

I'm planning to modify my car to get around 400hp (turbo, exhaust, computer, etc.). So I tough of installing a racing clutch and flywheel. It's a daily driving car. Do you have any manufacturer to suggest me? I saw good comments about ACT clutch kits.

Thx for everyone who will reply.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If you use any aftermarket clutch, you'll need a new flywheel. Stock flywheel won't work too well with a sprung clutch, may be not at all. I also need to change clutch in a few months and I'm set on getting Clutchmasters. I've heard a lot of good things about it. However you need to be aware that stock W55 will not last long with 400rwhp.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
you can use an aftermarket clutch with the stock flywheel. just make sure the clutch disk isnt sprung. i say just slap a new stock disk in there to hold you over until you grab some boost.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have a Clutch Masters stage 2 with about a thousand miles on it so far and love it. While I was at it I installed a Fidanza flywheel. Though, If you're going for 400whp you'll definitely want a higher stage than I have. The two above responses bring up good points. If you're looking at that hp you'll need to upgrade more than the clutch so meanwhile you may want to just go with a stock replacement to save the extra dough for a larger improvement down the road. I've had ACT and Clutch Masters. Both are great quality.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thx for every answer (+rep)

I did some research, and I decided to change the flywheel in same time. Also because I found an ACT used clutch for sale and a UR used flywheel for sell.

It's my first time replacing a flywheel, but from what I have read I will need to:

-Use new screw
-Resurface it
-Use a new plate (the guy that is selling it told me that)

So if I understand, the flywheel has 2 parts, the one that will make the contact with the clutch has to be resurfaced, but what is the plate? I tough it was the piece I had to resurface. I am confused. :p

My last question would be, does the UR flywheel would fit with a supra 6 speed transmission?

Welcome to Unorthodox Racing, Inc.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
im not positive so someone correct me if im wrong, but i read that the stock flywheel CANNOT be resurfaced. a new stockie is a ton of money. if i was boosting down the road, i literally would replace only the clutch disk itself and the throwout bearings and whatnot, save for a supra 6 speed setup (driveshaft, clutch, flywheel, tranny, etc.) no pressure plate or flywheel.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
SRT has the V160 supra tranny for $5k. not sure if that comes with all the hardware and brackets and stuff you need.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Here are a couple of quick questions... I'm really not planning on adding more power to the car but I need a new clutch.

1. Is it worth changing the flywheel and clutch to an aftermarket one?

2. Which clutches will give me the stock feel?

3. If i keep the stock flywheel, does it matter whether or not i get a sprung or unsprung clutch? (sprung clutches are more forgiving no?)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts