Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it have any voice response like the accord's navigation, IE if you say "Find me the nearest chinese restauarant", will it do it and tell you how to get there?

Does it at least let you choose things like that (via menu), closest restaurant, closest hotel, etc?

Does it announce directions to you?

What else if anything can it do?

Thanks for answering questions I'm guessing my local dealer won't know correctly,
ELmO

·
Registered
238 Posts
It's not voice activated/recognition

It does however, show local restaurants, ATM, hotel, banks, ect. (POI - Point of interest)

It does announce directions

It has voice guidance, and you can set your marks, where you wanna go, in what order, it has intersection, marking points, home, zoom in zoom out, it also has a calendar (if you ever use it), reminders.. ect.. oil changes.. crap like that, you probably won't use very much.. or at least I don't

there aren't very many IS with stock nav, so it is a good pick up.. it also keeps car value a bit better

·
Registered
600 Posts
The voice module from LS430 can be installed on IS300. But I doubt any NAV system would be smart enough to recognize human language. It would recognize simple commands like "louder" or "zoom in".

To find nearest restaurant, you can turn on POI on your map. Or you can search specifically for "McDonalds" or "Starbucks" and sort by distance. POI is one of the greatest feature IMO. For some POIs, you can not only find their address, but also their phone # too.

In addition to guidance, NAV also help you to avoid. You can set "areas to avoid" so NAV will never find a route that passes through that area.

There are also small things like calendar, to-do tasks, and maintainence reminder.

·
Registered
238 Posts
oh, one thing to remember, if you plan to change your HU.. then iyou have to relocate your stock HU somewhere.. something i'm working on doing right now..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses.

To let you know, the accord does respond to voice. On the test drive I programmed home to be the car lot, and while on the highway I said "Drive home" and it subsequently showed me a mapped route.

I may get it aftermarket...
Thanks.

·
8,849 Posts
I have played with nav software I'll be using for my custom unit and it has a few commands that can be programmed.

The best command I remember is "WHERE AM I?" :lol:
It does answer politely. :D

There is no way to get "star-trek" computer voice recognition, but the basic things are possible.

Even my cellular phone responds to voice commands.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts