Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have yet to see, let alone use a Nav unit. I am pretty sure I will be buying a 2002 IS300.

Can someone explain whats so hot about the Nav units these days? I am assuming it provides directions to places. Aside from that, what else?

Thanks,

·
11,061 Posts
Dunno. I assume it's for people who can't read a map...

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
dvd maps. it tells u where to go exactly. has hotel/gas station/restaurant listing. when u pick a place..it show u the shortest way there. alot of other things.. it memorize routes, and a locations..etc. plus, gadgets are kooo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Or you could just buy the housing for it and install a TV and Playstation2 !!!!

[ March 29, 2001: Message edited by: LexusKid ]

·
Registered
867 Posts
I admit, I'm clueless... but does the DVD navigation system require a monthly service fee (like a cell phone or pager).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got a Garmin portable color GPS unit. Only cost $6-700 at the time. I can take it in either car, but mostly use it on the boat to get to Catalina and back on cloudy days.
Also tells you gas stations/rest stops/restaurants, etc....
I don't think I would bother with a fixed unit in a car. However, I would like a TV/DVD unit....Because, yes, I love gadgets too!!!!

·
8,880 Posts
Originally posted by JT:
I admit, I'm clueless... but does the DVD navigation system require a monthly service fee (like a cell phone or pager).
There are no fees. The maps are located on the DVD disk, giving you the ability to buy updated maps. The Nav locates you on the map using GPS satellites.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Well, I think it looks really nice in the car and it stands out from the rest.

·
Registered
23,901 Posts
Nav rocks...don't knock it until you've tried it. There are three options in cars that I always thought were no big deal until I had them. Now I will not buy a car without them.

They are: <Drum Roll>
Leather Seats
Heated Seats
Navigation

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet! Thanks for all the information! Now I know I will not get one since its primary reason is for directions. Now I Can put the money toward another option!

Yes, I am a guy, and yes, I never get lost

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
All you bozos who think it's some toy for clueless people are speaking out of ignorance. I always hear this one: "Well, I know where I'm going and don't need directions and rarely do I travel out of my area." Okay, sure, you never wonder where your next appointment is, the closest gas station/atm, a detour route because of traffic, points of interest in the area, etc.? I'll never buy one without nav unless it's got two seats and screams like an alleycat from a dead stop.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Where I live (across the ocean) you really don't need one. However, I had one in my rental during a recent visit to LA. Those things are amazing!

It was invaluable in helping us find places we've never been to before. After entering the proper information, the system took us directly to locations we needed to be at. It showed (and told) us what highways and roads to take. The system even provided alternate routes to take when we got stuck in traffic on the 101.

If I lived in the continental US, I would not hesitate to get one.

·
Registered
571 Posts
dude, it's sorta like insurance, you don't always need it, but it sure does come in handy when you do....

plus all us young people NEED the latest in electronic gadgetry. I've been able to survive on road trips the past 6 years without NAV, and I'm sure I really don't need it, but it's a cool electronic gadget and that's reason enough for me to get it....

plus you can hook up DVD movies, PS2 on it, and have a pimpin' ride!!!!!!!!!!
(although I will probably go aftermarket NAV instead of stock)

·
Registered
135 Posts
A NAV system in your IS in my opinion is only useful if you get lost. I mean It's a cool little toy /gadget to show your friends, but tell me who here who has a NAV installed enter a destination only to show you directions taking routes you woudn't normally take. I mean the nav i have installed enables you to pick alternate routes but even that is no fool proof way. The Nav system can't anticipate what you are thinking. Yes, you can plot your own personal routes, but i persoanlly can't be bothered to do so. I usually enter the destination and let it guide me.

I only ever use it to show friends or when ever I'm in an area I'm not to familiar with. But let me tell you something, it's definitely worth it when you get lost and you have no idea where you are. It'll certainly get you out of a rough situation if I can make that analogy

cya

·
11,061 Posts
I'm not knocking it...just the price. However, if you travel a lot or have a sales job that has you going all over the place, you may want to shell out for the convenience. Plus, if you have to have the latest gadget, you really NEED one. Finding a gas station in an urban area is not a problem; finding one 100 miles outside of Winnemucca, NV could be.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I think most of you guys only want it because it's the only way you'll ever hear a female voice in your car talking to you...

Seriously, I used to think these were just silly gadgets - until I got a car that has one! It is SO great when traveling to a client location and you have never been there - has saved me all sorts of time. Plus, you don't have to look at it like a map (voice commands work great)... It's one of those little conveniences that you don't really realize you're so dependent upon until it's not there (like in my IS, for now)...

Scrap.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts