Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently checked out a Acura CL Type-S with the NAV system. I must say, the NAV system was pretty cool. It is so 21st century! You really don't need a map. It will even tell you aprox. how far you need to go before turning. And if you miss the turn, it will calculate new directions for you within 10-15 sec. I might consider waiting for 2002 model year just to have it. I wonder how they will implement it b/c the top dash screen on the European model is just too far away for a touch screen. Will they replace the current stereo system with an intergrated NAV/stereo touch screen system? If so, next year's model will have a totally different interior look compare to this year.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My parents have a TL, and I'm pretty sure the NAV system is identical to the one on the CL. I've also been able to check out my friend's GS400's NAV system, which is really cool too. I really wish Lexus would make the NAV system available soon. I'm not sure if I can wait another year.

I also think that it's a tragedy if Lexus changes the NAV system so that it isn't a slide up screen as in the Japanese version.

*sigh*..

--k

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
The TL and CL GPS are the same. However, Acura just recently made the screen smudge proof and I am not certain if this incorporates the 2000 model year or just 2001 +. Also, I don't think we want the pop up screen as it would probably be ergonomically incorrect and we have to have a touch screen.

·
13,978 Posts
does anyone know if you can get the japanese nav system and put it into the IS300?? and if this is possible, do you know anywhere we can get the nav system???? japan possibly?

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
I doubt that the Japanese Altezza nav system
has map info for US roads programmed into it.

Even if you could get all the parts it would be a huge pain to try to fit it to a US car. Those nav systems have sensors that snake all over the car.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Isn't the Japanese NAV system just a NAV system with a Japanese cd map in it ? Can't they just sell it with a California map (or wherever you buy the car)?

--k

1 - 7 of 7 Posts