Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My nav screen started closing only half way when I turn the car off. If I press the open/close button it will open and close the whole way (even with aux power). Just won't work when I turn off the car. I'm pretty confident it's not the slider switch that regulates if the screen is open or closed. It seems like it goes half way then gives up closing.. almost like it lost power. I also checked to make sure it has clearance in the back... it does. Any ideas on what it could be. FYI: it was closing all the way at some point.. it just stopped working.

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Why don't you go to your dealer and have them fix it for you? I assume your car is still under warranty right?

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
AppStar said:
LOL... I forgot to mention it's a custom install using the Factory Nav housing.
Well, I have the same set-up too. My advice is for you to take it apart and see what is wrong before you burn the motor. Good luck bro.

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
It sounds like your slider switch isn't connected right. There is a positioning switch on the driver side of the unit that tells the computer wether the screen is up/ down/ angled and if that comes loose it will do excatly what you are saying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I first thought but the slider seems fine. Plus it works great when I use the open/close button. It only stops half way when I turn the car off.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I remember seeing this post back when you posted it, but wouldn't ya know, Mine just started doing that same dayum thing and I can't figure it out either. One day I got in my car and I was like, Who the fuck been in my car, cuz the screen was half way closed. Then later it happened again and thats when I realized its when I have the screen up. I hate to have to pull it out again because the wires are a little loose anyway, it takes perfect packing to get all those wires back in place. I know my slider is probably loose too because I just used some tape. Every other time I pulled it out the tape was coming loose. But anyway, did you figure out what was the problem?
Don, the

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL.. I'm still baffled as to what causes that to happen. Anyhow, I took the whole damn thing apart... put it back together just as I did before.. and wouldn't you konw it worked like normal again. It hasn't happened since. I wish I could tell you what I did to fix it, but I just installed it the way I did the first time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for the slider, I soldered it on right where the little tabs stick out through the slider holes.. I'm guessing that's what those tabs are for.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
UPDATE:

Well I think I know why mine started doing that half way close. It must have been the connectors touching each other. When I finally took mine loose yesterday, the only thing I noticed right away was where I used the female pins to wire up the circuit board, they might have been touching the next pins over. But still I took my setup apart down to the pieces you see here.
The reason I finally did anything was because a day or so ago all of a sudden my buttons weren't doing anything and when I turned the key on the shelf would open a tiny bit and stop and do nothing.
Now its all working back fine since I put it back nice and clean. Also I finally found some screws to screw that metal slider thing down.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Doesn't Close

Hi guys,

Just finished my NAV housing. Almost same problem. Mine will open with the open/close button. Each time I press it will go up 1/3 of the way or so. After 3 times pressing it's fully open.

The problem is that it won't close at all. I thought that I had superglued the silver track slider into the groove properly--it may have slipped. Any ideas?

Thanks to those who posted info. Setup is sweet except for the 'close' thing.

--N

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Re: Doesn't Close

Nolie said:
Hi guys,

Just finished my NAV housing. Almost same problem. Mine will open with the open/close button. Each time I press it will go up 1/3 of the way or so. After 3 times pressing it's fully open.

The problem is that it won't close at all. I thought that I had superglued the silver track slider into the groove properly--it may have slipped. Any ideas?

Thanks to those who posted info. Setup is sweet except for the 'close' thing.

--N

Edit to my post below..
Sounds like you may have your buttons connected wrong. Normally when you press the "tilt" button it will tilt the screen just a bit. After 3 presses of the tilt button it will go back to the upright position. the other button for open close will open close the monitor. If you wired your tilt wire to the wrong button this could be the case.

Original post...
Recheck your wiring. Because none of us had any problems until after it was in there and working for a few weeks or so. In my case it worked fine for a few weeks then I started having problems with it not closing all the way, just like it was posted. So I figured Id try taking mine apart too but I didn't do too much. I noticed my female connectors and some little rubber things I put on the pins next to the ones I was connecting to were sort of rubbing. After I put it back together being extra careful to make all the pins fit smooth and used some extra electrical tape around the outside it worked perfectly again. So make sure none of the wires are touching the other pins. You should have...
(12v+) - Top right corner pin of the large plug
(Acc.) - Bottom right corner pin of the large plug
(Ground) - Bottom left corner pin of the large plug

This is from the document that was posted with the pics.
I dont know if there's any extra documentation on getting the buttons to light up if possible though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts