Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I would like to consolidate my wiring experience into a simple and easy to read diagram for all members. Thanks for all the help from our fellow member 3rdelement for all the great instructions.

Once completed, you will have a fully motorized housing with illumination. You can easily put in your GPS or any other eletronic equipment.

Cheers,

Here we go

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hope this question isn't too simple ... but for a stock non-gps '03, where do the colored wires connected to M4 pins (diagram above) in the nav housing come from? Does the car come pre-wired? Thanks.

·
Registered
778 Posts
anybody know where I can get the female plug to match the male end of the nav housing? Trying to avoid any soldering to make this a clean install.

I looked at a few electronics store and they have nothing close since this looks like it's pretty custom and specific to Lexus. Is this something that you can go to a Lexus parts dept to ask for??

And of course thanks DB8 for putting all this together. +rep

·
Registered
373 Posts
for those wires that connect to M4 plug...do i really have to match the color when i go out and buy those wires? such as the power wire on M4...do i really have to buy a wire that is white or silver strip or a mixture color white and silver strip? thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Old post Sry ,but does anyone kno if is possible to use the stock nav screen as a monitor to hook up to my aftermarket double din .try to use it just as a monitor

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm going to be doing this mod soon, and I'd like to see if anyone can clear up a couple questions. I have a 2003 that did not come with navigation. I am going to use an aftermarket screen in the OEM Nav housing and run a mirror image off my HU.

Since my car did not come with nav, I won't have the M4 plug coming from my car, but I still need to power my nav housing and screen. Do I just splice wires into the R2 plug and run them to the plug on the back of my nav housing as follows:
  • Pin1(R2 wire)>>Pin1(M4 nav side) Power
  • Pin2(R2)>>Pin13(M4) Illum+
  • Pin11(R2)>>Pin14(M4) ACC
  • Pin12(R2)>>Pin2(M4) Illum-
  • Pin20(R2>>Pin25(M4) Ground

When I'm done the back of my nav should look like the picture Twitched1 posted

AND the other end of the wires will be spliced to the wires in the R2 plug.

ALSO, do I get power for my screen from R2's Pin 11 or Pin 1? I would like my setup to function like the one in 3rdelement's video:

**fyi**

from what i have done personally, you dont need to connect the (-) of the Illumination.
just the 4 wires for:

Illumination (+)
Ground
Power
Acc

connecting the negative Illumination from the board to the wire blows a fuse for Interior lights. i have been running for a while now with just the four wires without a hitch.
Can anyone confirm the statement above?

·
Boosted Troll
1,360 Posts
Depending on if you have one connector or two located on Tue back of the navi.
1 connector is no illumination (-). 2 connectors means you need it.
Also that picture is old. I now have pigtails I made for the rear of the navi. Which can have either setup and give power and ground to the screen from the pigtail. I have three of em if you want one lmk.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
Depending on if you have one connector or two located on Tue back of the navi.
1 connector is no illumination (-). 2 connectors means you need it.
Also that picture is old. I now have pigtails I made for the rear of the navi. Which can have either setup and give power and ground to the screen from the pigtail. I have three of em if you want one lmk.
My nav housing has 2 connectors, so I guess I need illum(-). If you have an extra pigtail, I'll definitely take one. Thanks! I'll send you a PM with my contact info. Do you know if I have to do anything with the second connector?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have to bump this once again. How does the nav know whether the housing is up or down if the're no position-switched power signal to it, just plain ACC?

·
Boosted Troll
1,360 Posts
The navi has a logic board attached to those connectors on the back. So it has the power (ehhh :) ) to know when it needs to reopen when car is turned on depending on what selection is current when the car is powered off. That same selection is resumed when car is turned back on. Make sense?

·
Boosted Troll
1,360 Posts
Correct ^^ ;-)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts