Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Both have pros and cons.

It depends on what your driving situation demands. For me I have a commuter vehicle that work covers. I also have an evo8 and NA miata which where purchased in that order.

It really sucks to drive the evo for short distances. Mainly I have to baby the vehicle until everything warms up mainly the oil temp so I'm driving like grandma to let things warm up and if my destination is like 2 miles away I will never get into boost. I would say it takes about on average 10mins/10miles before I attempt to get on the boost.

For the miata or any NA vehicle for that matter I'm not as concern about if the vehicle is properly warmed up. I actually like driving the miata around town more than the evo. Even though the evo has way more power and upgraded suspension/tires. Miata has the instant response and the driving pleasure is much higher than the evo.

I'm not thinking about if the temps are up, monitoring pressure/AFR, paying attention to signs of boost leaks, fuel cut off, etc. I suppose if you are oblivious to these things then it's great.

Bottom line NA to me has a much shorter check off list on what could possible go wrong than a turbo car. Unless you have $$$, it's a lease or under warranty, or simply don't care then life is good in boost land.

Oh another thing turbo cars generate alot of heat which makes it's way into the cabin. So you either turn on the A/C kill some HP or you sweat it out.

Turbo cars seem to be much louder than NA vehicles. If you like the attention great but if you like to fly under the radar not so much.

Next car I'm looking to purchase I will lean towards NA.

·
Registered
11,025 Posts
I've always been a fan of N/A. Forced-Induction always annoyed me and I viewed it as a cheap way to make power, but lately i've started seeing the benefits of it.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Having owned a couple of heavily boosted cars, I can say that my next project car will be NA. There are just a lot less variables that can go wrong in a well built NA application. And ocinator said it pretty well, you're not always worrying about different things blowing up on an NA car. I would still let an NA car warm up just like a turbo car, but there's far less to worry about. Not to mention there's generally less weight in an NA application.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I prefer to have the scream come from the engine instead of specifically from the turbo/SC ;).

I fully appreciate forced induction engines, but if I can get the same performance out of an NA, I'm going to go with an NA.

·
Registered
28,808 Posts
Depends on the engine, vehicle and application.

·
Registered
833 Posts
In terms of offering the best balance of power, then N/A is better because you get power and torque, where turbo's add a lot of power but not that much torque. As poop said, N/A vs turbo depends on the engine, vehicle, and application. For N/A to be as efficient as a turbo car you would need a nice sized displacement motor with at least 6 cylinders that has the ability to rev high, which is all coupled to a light chassis.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I prefer N/A much less stress on the engine and in the long run fewer things to go wrong. unfortunately, it seems like nowdays they are moving to smaller displacement engines with FI. Give me a V8 over a 6 turbo. I hope they continue to offer V8s in the next model year when I replace my car. the V8 in the S5 sounds so mean, much better then the turbo in the S4.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I like both, theres something about when a hard hitting turbo (0 psi to full boost in under 400rpm) comes on and suddenly the back tires have zero traction that makes it fun. But realistically, thats not effective for a commuter car or a track car where smooth transition into boost is desireable, and in that case the the excitement isnt really there as much, but an na motor has its own perks, especially when its high reving with awesome throttle response. The all motor scream cannot be beat.. As long as its flat crank that is

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
In the past, I wasn't a big fan, except maybe the Supra Turbo. But now, Turbocharging has been engineered to perfection by manufacturers like BMW and MB, and the kind of power they're making while improving fuel consumption and no turbo lag is very impressive. So I would certainly want my next car to have a turbocharged engine.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
In the past, I wasn't a big fan, except maybe the Supra Turbo. But now, Turbocharging has been engineered to perfection by manufacturers like BMW and MB, and the kind of power they're making while improving fuel consumption and no turbo lag is very impressive. So I would certainly want my next car to have a turbocharged engine.
i don't thinkbmw or mb are responsible for perfecting the turbo, i think the japanese manufacturers have done the same thing, but you don't really see it because we don't get all of the little boosted econocars they get in japan and europe. wrc did an amazing thing with forcing manufacturers to make the turbo better.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
i don't thinkbmw or mb are responsible for perfecting the turbo, i think the japanese manufacturers have done the same thing, but you don't really see it because we don't get all of the little boosted econocars they get in japan and europe. wrc did an amazing thing with forcing manufacturers to make the turbo better.
That may be, but I can't comment on cars we don't get. If they had in fact perfected the technology, why not offer it in their 4, 6, and 8 cylinder engines? Why do they just keep increasing displacement to enhance performance? I think BMW broke with the pack when they held displacement of their famous I-6 at 3.0 liters, while adding twin turbochargers. And look at how successful they've been...now they're doing the same thing with their V8s, with MB following in their footsteps, leaving the Japanese in the dust.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
the japanese instead focused on making N/A applications more efficient as i think people are still afraid of turbochargers. it's a relatively new technology to most average consumers. not only that, but i feel like toyota and nissan actually kept displacent smaller than their american and european counter parts with 3-3.5 liter v/inline 6's, and 4-4.7 liter v8's while especially the american companies continued with the bigger is better campaign with most v-6's in the 4-4.5 liter range and their v8's in the 5-6 liter range. not only that but the japanese manufacturers managed to make more hp and tq while maintaining less emmisions and better fuel economy. i'm not as well read on the european manufacturers as they don't in any way interest me. feel free to correct me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts