Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on buying a 01-05 is300 pretty soon now and have been researching the best turbo and manual swap parts. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on my current list at all as I'm only trying to get around 600 rwhp on e85 and am curious if I can downgrade anything to make it cheaper and still maintain reliability.
The current setup I'm thinking of getting consists of the following,
Tial 44mm MVR External Wastegate $379.99
The CXRacing intercooler and piping kit $589 (I'm going to sell the BOV)
The CXRacing T4 manifold + Downpipe $799
GReddy (11501665) Blow-Off Valve $226
AEM infinity 506 $1400
BoomSlang adapter for AEM infinity $600
Turbonetics T70 Ball Bearing Turbo $600 (on ebay so idk if it's legit link below if you want to say what you think)
FSMOTO PRO SERIES FUEL RAIL 2JZ-GE $250
GTE rods and pistons around $400
Walbro 450 fuel pump (either this or a 255 lmk which you would chose) $175
Fuelab 6 micron fuel filter $165
AN lines for fuel (or powerhouse racing fuel lines I haven't decided but would like input)
AEM Electronics Ethanol Content Sensors 30-2200 $200
AEM Electronics High-Capacity Fuel Pressure Regulators 25-305BK $130
DeatschWerks 1000cc Injectors $569 (I think I can get cheaper ones but idk what to get)
GTE headgasket $200 (to lower compression)
ARP headstuds $200 (might aswell do them since I'm doing rods and pistons)

And that's it for all the stuff I was thinking of getting to turbo an IS300. LMK if I can make it any cheaper as I am in highschool and am on a very tight budget, I also want to do everything by my self in my garage with limited tools but I can buy more tools as needed. Another thing I was wanting to do was manual swap it with a 6 speed CD009 and am debating on either the Colins adapter kit or the Maverick Motorsports twin plate clutch adapter kit. This would be last on my to do list. After all this I'll upgrade suspension and stuff even though I shouldn't do suspension and brakes last.

I've never done anything on cars as I've owned one car and it was an 03 Mazda tribute which isn't a car to work on so this would be my first time. I know some stuff about cars but not everything so all input is appreciated.

Again I just want to make around 600hp on E85 and be able to switch to 91 for just everyday driving as it would be my daily. Also if anyone knows any tuners in Colorado that work on 2jzs let me know who they are so I can get in touch.

I don't have an IS300 now but am buying one within the next 4 weeks and would hopefully get the money to turbo everything by the end of the year so I can put it all together.
Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm planning on buying a 01-05 is300 pretty soon now and have been researching the best turbo and manual swap parts. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on my current list at all as I'm only trying to get around 600 rwhp on e85 and am curious if I can downgrade anything to make it cheaper and still maintain reliability.
The current setup I'm thinking of getting consists of the following,
Tial 44mm MVR External Wastegate $379.99
The CXRacing intercooler and piping kit $589 (I'm going to sell the BOV)
The CXRacing T4 manifold + Downpipe $799
GReddy (11501665) Blow-Off Valve $226
AEM infinity 506 $1400
BoomSlang adapter for AEM infinity $600
Turbonetics T70 Ball Bearing Turbo $600 (on ebay so idk if it's legit link below if you want to say what you think)
FSMOTO PRO SERIES FUEL RAIL 2JZ-GE $250
GTE rods and pistons around $400
Walbro 450 fuel pump (either this or a 255 lmk which you would chose) $175
Fuelab 6 micron fuel filter $165
AN lines for fuel (or powerhouse racing fuel lines I haven't decided but would like input)
AEM Electronics Ethanol Content Sensors 30-2200 $200
AEM Electronics High-Capacity Fuel Pressure Regulators 25-305BK $130
DeatschWerks 1000cc Injectors $569 (I think I can get cheaper ones but idk what to get)
GTE headgasket $200 (to lower compression)
ARP headstuds $200 (might aswell do them since I'm doing rods and pistons)

And that's it for all the stuff I was thinking of getting to turbo an IS300. LMK if I can make it any cheaper as I am in highschool and am on a very tight budget, I also want to do everything by my self in my garage with limited tools but I can buy more tools as needed. Another thing I was wanting to do was manual swap it with a 6 speed CD009 and am debating on either the Colins adapter kit or the Maverick Motorsports twin plate clutch adapter kit. This would be last on my to do list. After all this I'll upgrade suspension and stuff even though I shouldn't do suspension and brakes last.

I've never done anything on cars as I've owned one car and it was an 03 Mazda tribute which isn't a car to work on so this would be my first time. I know some stuff about cars but not everything so all input is appreciated.

Again I just want to make around 600hp on E85 and be able to switch to 91 for just everyday driving as it would be my daily. Also if anyone knows any tuners in Colorado that work on 2jzs let me know who they are so I can get in touch.

I don't have an IS300 now but am buying one within the next 4 weeks and would hopefully get the money to turbo everything by the end of the year so I can put it all together.
Thanks!
Also any advice on how to run fuel lines and tap for oil lines/run oil lines is welcome. Really any advice for going NA-T and any budget tips for doing so! =]

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'd suggest some re-evaluation, sorry to be the debbie downer.
Limited tools and zero experience is a big initial challenge. You're trying to run a marathon when you haven't really started walking.
Having high goals but contradicting them with things like budget, cheaper, daily is also another challenge. Those just don't work together, so it's best to not think that way from the start. What's your budget? I'd say if you don't have 10k in the bank then start saving.

I'm not saying abandon your goals, but my personal suggestion would be to start slowly. Get the car and drive it! Make sure it has all of the maintenance up to date and runs well. While you're getting familiar driving the car you may need to do minor things which will help you start getting familiar with working on the car, collecting necessary tools, etc. If it's going to be your daily driver, then make sure it's up to the task before you plan on completely tearing it apart. Everything you do will be a learning process, so it will require time and patience. During that time you most likely won't be able to drive your car so plan for a beater car or lots of uber action.
Why not start with the basic bolt ons? Things like intake, headers, exhaust, suspension, and brakes are all great diy weekend/evening projects and some can carry over to big builds or get re-sold quickly as to not take a chunk out of your budget.
While you're doing those things you can continue your research and collect parts to still achieve your goals.

I like this thread: Best 'progress' approach to build-up a 2001...
Steve has a nice phase style approach. He's going to learn a ton in phases 1 and 2, so when 3 and 4 arrive he will be able to attack those really well.

Reactions: Kris OK

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd suggest some re-evaluation, sorry to be the debbie downer.
Limited tools and zero experience is a big initial challenge. You're trying to run a marathon when you haven't really started walking.
Having high goals but contradicting them with things like budget, cheaper, daily is also another challenge. Those just don't work together, so it's best to not think that way from the start. What's your budget? I'd say if you don't have 10k in the bank then start saving.

I'm not saying abandon your goals, but my personal suggestion would be to start slowly. Get the car and drive it! Make sure it has all of the maintenance up to date and runs well. While you're getting familiar driving the car you may need to do minor things which will help you start getting familiar with working on the car, collecting necessary tools, etc. If it's going to be your daily driver, then make sure it's up to the task before you plan on completely tearing it apart. Everything you do will be a learning process, so it will require time and patience. During that time you most likely won't be able to drive your car so plan for a beater car or lots of uber action.
Why not start with the basic bolt ons? Things like intake, headers, exhaust, suspension, and brakes are all great diy weekend/evening projects and some can carry over to big builds or get re-sold quickly as to not take a chunk out of your budget.
While you're doing those things you can continue your research and collect parts to still achieve your goals.

I like this thread: Best 'progress' approach to build-up a 2001...
Steve has a nice phase style approach. He's going to learn a ton in phases 1 and 2, so when 3 and 4 arrive he will be able to attack those really well.
Thanks for your input, I’ll read that thread and definitely start off with bolt-ons, I knew it was a lot for someone with no experience to do which is why I asked for suggestions and what you said sounds like a really good idea, I’ll definitely save up some money first then go big, I’m thinking maybe next summer I’ll have about 10 grand to spend on the turbo kit and just for now I’ll do bolt-ons while I’m saving up. Really good advice and I’ll stick to it! What do you think about the parts I’ve chosen though for the build in my future, I may wait until after college so some of it may be outdated by then but would I need to add anything to that?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your input, I’ll read that thread and definitely start off with bolt-ons, I knew it was a lot for someone with no experience to do which is why I asked for suggestions and what you said sounds like a really good idea, I’ll definitely save up some money first then go big, I’m thinking maybe next summer I’ll have about 10 grand to spend on the turbo kit and just for now I’ll do bolt-ons while I’m saving up. Really good advice and I’ll stick to it! What do you think about the parts I’ve chosen though for the build in my future, I may wait until after college so some of it may be outdated by then but would I need to add anything to that?
I just read through the first two pages and I’ve decided to do basically what he did and run only the cxracing kit with upgraded BOV Wastegate and Turbo (in a year or so of course) and then after that stage move up, the parts I’ve listed above are definitely the “move up” stage but do you think that turbo would be a good starting turbo aswell or should I get a smaller one to start then upgrade? I still have a year for researching but I’d like to kind of know what I should do before then.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts