Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to use a stock NA Supra/SC300 flywheel will I have to have the center hole machined out 2-3mm like the aluminum one? I would like to have a little lighter flywheel thats durable and driveable.

Thanks
birdis300

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Nope...

Reactions: chado

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
How much lighter is the NA Supra flywheel than the stock IS300 one? Is it a dual mass>

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
Done what?

Supra NA fly is single mass. I don't remember the exact weight...but it was roughly 10lbs lighter.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
^^ JUN or NA supra flywheel, as far as i know

toyota dealer for rod?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
The supra flywheel is 10 lbs lighter? That sounds like the perfect balance between performance and driveability....exactly what I'm looking for.

Teck...what clutch did you pair your W58 and NA supra flyweel with?

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
nice thread. but i just want to know everything there is to making these flywheels work on a W55, not W58

1. JUN 2JZ-GE flywheel
2. 80mm slave cylinder rod (where to get this thing????)
3. SC300 clutch disc
4. IS300 pressure plate
5. Misc nuts/bolts that need replacing?
6. Pilot bearing/throwout bearing that need replacing?
7. Other small bits needed to complete the swap?

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
nice thread. but i just want to know everything there is to making these flywheels work on a W55, not W58
Tranny has no bearing on this since you will always be using the W55 (IS300) bellhousing.

Unrelated, but on another note, I dislike lightweight flywheels because they cannot handle the abuse and sink the amount of heat that a full steel flywheel can. They are more prone to warp and overheat. A good street flywheel should be able to have some mass to sink heat from slipping the clutch for street usage. Additionally, some mass is beneficial when starting from a standing start. Turbo cars already suffer from lack of torque off the line. A lighter weight fly won't buy you better launches.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
Is the SC300 clutch disk sprung? I noticed you said to use it with the NA supra flywheel that's why I'm asking...

·
Registered
6,606 Posts
SC300 and NA Supra probably use the exact same part #. Mine is single mass, unsprung.

·
\/ Awesome \/
11,398 Posts
SC300 and NA Supra probably use the exact same part #. Mine is single mass, unsprung.
Any driveability issues? People say to run a single mass flywheel you need a sprung clutch....I've had this beaten into my head repeatedly

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
^^ I think he meant his flywheel is a single mass unsprung. His clutch is sprung (since he is using the SC300/supra clutch from centerforce)

·
Premium Member
4,704 Posts
The 80mm rod, make it yourself. Get a grade 8 bolt about the diameter of the stock slave rod. Cut it to 80mm and round off the edges. A little thicker rod wont hurt it if you cannot find the exact diameter.

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
i'll have to see where i can get a slave rod made...

kponti you told me i needed to increase the diameter by 2-3mm is that still true?

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
Actually yes. I have had to do that and so did two other IS300s that did this mod around me.
great. you say yes teck says no this thing could be a headache

1 - 20 of 27 Posts