Lexus IS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 280 Posts

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
It's lost smoothness overall and to me that's a good thing! The car feels much more sporty...more aggressive. I'm also wondering if my mpg goes up with less weight for the engine to spin around....I'll update in a week. Just filled up a few days ago

·
Registered
75 Posts
I just ordered the Fidanza Flywheel and ACT clutch combo online, but I had a question just in relation with a single mass flywheel. Since I am going with a single mass I've concluded that I need the shorter flywheel bolts, but with the Fidanza Flywheel should I also get the longer push-rod?

·
Registered
830 Posts
Going to need a new clutch pretty soon I think. I have 160K on the original.

I've been looking at going with something like this. This makes the process so much easier. Thanks man!

·
Technical Poseur
23,314 Posts
I just ordered the Fidanza Flywheel and ACT clutch combo online, but I had a question just in relation with a single mass flywheel. Since I am going with a single mass I've concluded that I need the shorter flywheel bolts, but with the Fidanza Flywheel should I also get the longer push-rod?
If your flywheel is made specifically for the IS300, not likely. The flywheel should have the proper offset. If its just a generic 2JZ flywheel then likely yes.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If your flywheel is made specifically for the IS300, not likely. The flywheel should have the proper offset. If its just a generic 2JZ flywheel then likely yes.
It is te Fidanza flywheel for an IS300, at least that's what it is sold as. I guess when it's all apart I'll take measurements and cross check. Thanks!

·
Registered
277 Posts
I doubt any amount of grease applied anywhere would cure the infamous chirping noise at idle (at least not permanently) This is an ongoing issue for alot of us that no one can seem to come up with a viable solution. (Not even Lexus Technicians)
I cured mine... Put a return spring on the clutch arm to pull it away from clutch when not engaged ... Totally did away with the chirp... Been noise free for over a year..

·
Registered
424 Posts
I'm glad you're enjoying the setup. My car ran louder too when I had this setup. I mostly noticed it on the freeway.
louder as in more transmission noise?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I cured mine... Put a return spring on the clutch arm to pull it away from clutch when not engaged ... Totally did away with the chirp... Been noise free for over a year..
same here, i installed the na sc300/na supra clutch and even with a brand new OEM bearing it started making noise 3 days after the install, but the spring fixed it all.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
same here, i installed the na sc300/na supra clutch and even with a brand new OEM bearing it started making noise 3 days after the install, but the spring fixed it all.
what spring did you use? and was this a solution on you found on the forums? i still havent gotten the parts yet, but i will be doing this soon as my latest project is done. didn't think there was anything else that was needed to be done besides what's listed on the first post, so i wanna be prepared to have everything for my mechanic as i won't be doing this myself.

·
Registered
838 Posts
what spring did you use? and was this a solution on you found on the forums? i still havent gotten the parts yet, but i will be doing this soon as my latest project is done. didn't think there was anything else that was needed to be done besides what's listed on the first post, so i wanna be prepared to have everything for my mechanic as i won't be doing this myself.
i used a universal throttle return spring from napa and a metal hose clamp to wrap around the clutch release that hits the slave cyl pushrod. connected one hook of the spring to the hose clamp and the other end I just found a spot near by to hook it to so that it keeps enough tension to lay off the bearing.

you may want to buy the assorted 3 pack of springs to find the one that works best. I did it in the garage, but if you can bring it to a shop w a lift it will take maybe 15 mins to figure out.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This write up was for the stock W55 transmission. I think it is applicable to the W58 transmission as well, not positive though.

·
Registered
728 Posts
This write up was for the stock W55 transmission. I think it is applicable to the W58 transmission as well, not positive though.
It is applicable just the same - I am running W58 + the N/A Supra clutch setup and all is good.

·
Registered
93 Posts
clutch chirp noise

I have over 4,000 miles with the N/A Supra clutch/flywheel setup and I replaced every part listed with new genuine toyota parts. However, I did not replace the slave cylinder or the master cylinder. I have not had any problems in terms of shifting gears. Recently, I am now hearing a slight chirp just about every time I release the clutch. Are there any other similiar problems and possible solutions out there?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
I have over 4,000 miles with the N/A Supra clutch/flywheel setup and I replaced every part listed with new genuine toyota parts. However, I did not replace the slave cylinder or the master cylinder. I have not had any problems in terms of shifting gears. Recently, I am now hearing a slight chirp just about every time I release the clutch. Are there any other similiar problems and possible solutions out there?
dude read just a couple posts above...

·
Registered
544 Posts
03ThunderSport

I think replacing the slave release cylinder will fix your problem, it fixed it for me with out having to use a spring. Otherwise, as other members have pointed out, the spring also seems to do the trick and is probably a quicker and cheaper fix.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Ordered all my parts yesterday.

Updated numbers in Toyota's system (because some parts are refabbed)

13405-46040 Flywheel
90910-02103 Bolt (x8)
31473-14030 Rod
31250-30391-84 Disc
90363-12002 Bearing
31230-22101 Bearing Assembly
90311-90006 Seal
31210-30261-84 Clutch

So I ordered all of the parts and the parts manager noticed they were supra parts and told me I'd almost certainly need some bolts for the clutch assembly as well. 3 bolts to be exact. The part number is

90250-08054

I ordered 3 of them. I'll see what they are when the parts arrive.

All together (with a bit of a friend discount) it ran me $714.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Ordered all my parts yesterday.

Updated numbers in Toyota's system (because some parts are refabbed)

13405-46040 Flywheel
90910-02103 Bolt (x8)
31473-14030 Rod
31250-30391-84 Disc
90363-12002 Bearing
31230-22101 Bearing Assembly
90311-90006 Seal
31210-30261-84 Clutch

So I ordered all of the parts and the parts manager noticed they were supra parts and told me I'd almost certainly need some bolts for the clutch assembly as well. 3 bolts to be exact. The part number is

90250-08054

I ordered 3 of them. I'll see what they are when the parts arrive.

All together (with a bit of a friend discount) it ran me $714.
Nice! Im thinking of doing this swap, as I loved the W58/2JZ combo I had in my 92 Supra (formerly 7MGE), and getting rid of the clutch dampener, and swapping over to braided lines at the same time.

181 - 200 of 280 Posts