Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright, it's finally done! I can't believe how much of an improvement it is. The engine speed rises and falls faster and smoother. There is less vibration with this setup, and changing gears is smoother because it is easier to rev match. I wish I would have done this sooner. It is MUCH sportier than before. Anyway, here are the part numbers I used. I took pictures of the parts used to show you the difference, but unfortunately I didn't get the IS300 slave cyl. pushrod back. Not like I'll ever go back to that setup, but it would have been nice to show the difference.

The pressure plate, release bearing, pilot bearing, and rear main seal are the same parts between the N/A Supra and IS300. The flywheel and bolts, clutch, and slave cyl pushrod are different.

Here is the list of parts used with the corresponding part numbers. Then below that I show the difference between some of them.

N/A Supra flywheel 13405-46040
Flywheel bolts (X8) 90910-02103
Slave cyl push rod (from TT Supra) 31473-14030
N/A sprung clutch disc 31250-30391-84
Pilot bearing 90363-12002-77
Release bearing 31230-22101
Rear main seal 90311-90006
Pressure plate 31210-30261-84

There you have it. Genuine Toyota parts for an N/A Supra swap. Here is some more info:

Flywheel
IS300 weight 31.5 lbs, about 1 3/4" thick.

Supra 17.8 lbs, a little under 1 1/4" thick (hence the need for the longer push rod)

Flywheel bolts; you can see the difference in length. The shorter ones are for the thinner Supra flywheel of course.

Here is the longer pushrod. It's about 81mm.

And of course, a new sprung Supra clutch disc.

That's it! Straight bolt on, no modification required!

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flywheel was $266. Clutch disc was $100. Flywheel bolts were about $75. Pressure plate was $105. Push rod was $9. Pilot bearing was $6, and release bearing was $54. Rear main was $30ish. A $600-650.

I also have to thank TeCKis300 and kponti for giving me all the info I needed.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thanks! Curious, why did you go this route rather than a Lightweight IS300 flywheel? They save another 3-6 lbs and a direct swap..

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't want it THAT light. I wanted something kind of middle-weight. I don't like the feel of "lightweight" flywheels. Plus the local Toyota dealer is the shop that installed it, and since I am using Toyota parts they are giving me a 1 year warranty on everything.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I did some digging around with no luck... what's the holding torque of the N/A Supra clutch compared to IS300 stock?
Same-same?

I'm wondering if like the stock IS300 clutch, could the N/A Supra clutch be used for light FI?

·
Registered
232 Posts
This is perfectly what I need! Lightweight flywheels are too noisy for my liking, I can't wait to do this mod! Too bad I just got my clutch replaced 2k miles ago.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did some digging around with no luck... what's the holding torque of the N/A Supra clutch compared to IS300 stock?
Same-same?

I'm wondering if like the stock IS300 clutch, could the N/A Supra clutch be used for light FI?
Holding torque: since the pressure plate and a lot of other parts are the exact same, and the other parts are interchangeable, I'd be willing to bet the clamping force is the same.

Sure, it could probably handle an extra 4 lbs of pressure, but I doubt much more. If you want to go F/I, don't plan on sticking with the stock clutch and tranny (at least for long ;) ).

·
Dr. JDM
9,332 Posts
looks great! love that you used all OEM parts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, just precaution. It wasn't leaking but thought I'd play it safe since it has 115k on the odo.

·
Registered
281 Posts
A stupid question... when you shut her down how fast does the engine come to a stop? Can you get a A/V? I know it lame... I like the immediate shut down from the turn of the key of my RX7 with 12lb flywheel, 7 or so pounds lighter versus your 14lb difference...I am thinking of doing this or getting an aftermarket flywheel. Pricing is "close" to the same but maybe done right with a few extra pounds over the aftermarket but no hassles.

Driveabilty... I know its not the stock flywheel.... damn the IS still gives me troubles... its the only manual trans car of the 3 I drive I cannot engage smoothly... maybe its the dampener in the clutch line... its either clunk (maybe from the KDWs) or major clutch slip... I cannot get the feeling unless I drive the IS exclusively. My other cars I have no problem... maybe need to hit up Figs or the local part store.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts