Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not a mechanic at all! Alot of these terms and numbers are like a foreign language. I was wanting some advice though,I was wondering how much of a horsepower gain would I get from a SRT intake with race ecu and quality headers and exhaust? Would it need to be dynod? Any info would be appreciated!Thank you! 2002 Is300 auto

·
Premium Member
27,022 Posts
If you want any big gains... just save your money and go turbo.

You can get gains otherwise... but without a turbo you'll be paying big $$$ for relatively small gains.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
how much power do you want? then we can tell you what mods you need to get that number

·
Registered
964 Posts
thats not asking much at all. mazzuri headers, lightweight flywheel, act clutch and remove some weight from the car. with the right tires can get a 14 flat 1/4. thats only a 30 hp gain and then loose some weight for a second off 1/4 mile time. just throw cams and you could get it i bet probably without loosing the weight.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
thats not asking much at all. mazzuri headers, lightweight flywheel, act clutch and remove some weight from the car. with the right tires can get a 14 flat 1/4. thats only a 30 hp gain and then loose some weight for a second off 1/4 mile time. just throw cams and you could get it i bet probably without loosing the weight.
he said he had an auto.... no this guys not going to be hitting 14 flat any time soon.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
so ur saying simple cams alone can knock off a second off 7.4 to 6.4? dam for 1000 bucks it sure worth it..
best way to improve acceleration is to loose weight. but honestly.... who cares about 0-60. Ive done pretty much all there is to do to a na is and 0-60 does not blow me away at all.

as you can see, 0-60 is not that fast. whats better is its eagerness to rev and to pull at speed.

·
Registered
964 Posts
im saying it shouldnt be hard. i havent paid much attention to 0-60 times for a while and ive also seen alot of people that say they arent getting much out of their cars. ill probably get flamed for posting what i did. if your auto then its probably not worth trying. the auto tranny is a power guzzler or something. also its harder to gain a second on a 0-60 than a 1/4. im not sure how much harder but the mods listed take it from stock which is supposed to be 15 on a 1/4 to around 14 flat and that is only adding 30hp. the car weighs probably 200 pound less just guessing but cams chould do 50hp i believe add the header on top and id sayit would get you close enough if not there. probably search and see what kind of gain people are getting with cams.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I was looking for around 50 horsepower from what I listed in my post at the top of the page...is that possible? Also how much would cams cost to buy and have installed,just anyones personal opinions.Thanks!

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I was looking for around 50 horsepower from what I listed in my post at the top of the page...is that possible? Also how much would cams cost to buy and have installed,just anyones personal opinions.Thanks!
then you are going to need to do what i did. its going to cost you 5-7 grand if you dont have any major hiccups

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
been there done that.... its possible
You have cams and a built engine. That is far from I/H/E

50whp is 100% impossible from I/H/E only. I gained 34 with my setup, and there is no room for improvement on my intake, header or exhaust setup.

Can 50whp be had over stick, Yes, but you need cams as well.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.