Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I wash my car, no matter how dry I think I am getting my IS, inevitably I end up with a streak of water spots just below the mirror on the driver's side ---- and to a lesser degree on the passenger's side. I swear I have the car bone dry, then maybe I take it out three or four hours later, and the streaks appear. I think maybe some water gets trapped in the side mirrors and then it comes spraying out once the car is in motion. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions for the ultimate way to dry your car?

·
Podiatrist
23,616 Posts
Call me sexually repressed...but I blow my car.

Here is my routine.

I wash the car and rinse by letting the water run off the car.

Then I go around the car and blow into crevaces. Front bumper lights, Rear bumper lights, rear trunk lights, side view mirrors, along the door moldings on both sides of the car, and finally...I turn the mirrors forward and back, blowing into the mechanism and taking a towel underneath at the same time. This usually gets rid of most of the water that streaks while driving.

However, I still find it a problem sometimes because I get light headed from blowing so much and can't drive so well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by SophieSleeps:
Call me sexually repressed...but I blow my car.

Here is my routine.

I wash the car and rinse by letting the water run off the car.

Then I go around the car and blow into crevaces. Front bumper lights, Rear bumper lights, rear trunk lights, side view mirrors, along the door moldings on both sides of the car, and finally...I turn the mirrors forward and back, blowing into the mechanism and taking a towel underneath at the same time. This usually gets rid of most of the water that streaks while driving.

However, I still find it a problem sometimes because I get light headed from blowing so much and can't drive so well.

Thanks for the tip.............and the humor

If I start blowing my IS, do you think my wife's Acura CL will get jealous? And will there be a mandatory cuddling period involved? This could get very complicated.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
My god, do you seriously physically blow all the water out of the crevices with your mouth? Damn..

I used a farly large air compressor to do that.

-crontab -l

------------------
An Ecstatic Owner of a Fully-Loaded Graphite Gray 2001 Lexus IS 300

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I get those water spots also. It comes from the gap between the side view mirror and the actual mirror.

When I dry the car after washing, I usually stick my chamois in-betweem the mirror and the housing.

Or you could blow it like the other guys.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed the water creeps out from behind and under the mirrors... it conveniently ends up on the sides of the car after it's been dried. *shrug* Totally sucks.

Scott.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by luvmyride:
Before I got my air comp. I used a leaf blower. It is big ,and the neighbors stare, but it works.
Sounds like the makings of the next Jetta commercial! The one with the shopping cart and the guy cleaning his neighbor's car are funny as hell.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Cardinal, I love you man; you finally solved the mystery for me. I didnt get what was so funny about that Passat commercial. I never realized that it was the NEIGHBOR'S CAR!

I should really seek a new line of work, because sometimes I dont think Im swift enough for skip tracing

Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Sounds like the makings of the next Jetta commercial! The one with the shopping cart and the guy cleaning his neighbor's car are funny as hell.

------------------
Justy
99 328i (for now)
01 IS300

·
Registered
141 Posts
1. wash and dry the car
2. take the car for a short drive to get the water out of those areas that it likes to hide in
3. park it at home again and finish detailing it

p.s. those mirrors really hide like a gallon of water in them. mine drips out for a day or two after washing the car. really irritating. i don't really spray the mirrors with water too much anymore, and that has helped alot.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
Call me crazy, but....

Since the mirror housing is plastic, I was thinking about drilling a small drain hole on the bottom of the housing (where you can't see it) to allow the water to drain out. Good idea or dumb idea....

Mark

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,648 Posts
don't drill it...park it on a steep incline/decline with the mirrors facing downward...let the water drip out for a day or two...

personally, i use the blow method myself...neighbors think i'm kissing my cars...but whatevers...you should see the stuff they do...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Originally posted by ISsoon:
Cardinal, I love you man; you finally solved the mystery for me. I didnt get what was so funny about that Passat commercial. I never realized that it was the NEIGHBOR'S CAR!

I should really seek a new line of work, because sometimes I dont think Im swift enough for skip tracing

Soon, Guess what? I didn't realize it was the neighbor's car either until someone clued me in. So I'm a dope, too. We're two dopes driving an IS.

·
Registered
818 Posts
OK, I dont feel so bad NOW

When I explained it to my WTB, she CLAIMED that she got it the first time she saw it, but you cant expect a woman to admit she didnt know something

Originally posted by cardinal_creek:
Soon, Guess what? I didn't realize it was the neighbor's car either until someone clued me in. So I'm a dope, too. We're two dopes driving an IS.

------------------
Justy
99 328i (for now)
01 IS300

1 - 14 of 14 Posts