Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roommate drove my is300 to the store a couple of blocks away without realizing the rear tire was flat. He returned and asked me what was wrong with my car. I replied, "I don't know, what did you do to it!?"

I drove it around the block and it was shaking all over the place when I accelerated. I got out and noticed the rear tire was flat.

No big deal, I was burning through those tires anyway and had an extra set to throw on.

Now there's this rattle coming from the center of my dash! I can't pinpoint it.. it's nothing on the surface or within reach. It's driving me mad!!

My initial plan was to wait until I have a new stereo system to put in, pull out the stock unit and drive around with a gaping hole in the dash so I can pin-point the problem. I'm now leaning towards taking it to Lexus and seeing if they can fix it.

I figured I should sniff around here first. I did a few searches and haven't found anything exactly like this. I know for a fact that the rattling did not exist before the bumpy flat tire ride!

My girlfriend says the car's just getting old and that I'm over reacting, but I'm sure you'll all agree that a small rattle is A BIG DEAL!!

Any tips would be appreciated. I'll schedule a visit to the dealership sometime in the next week or so.

Cheers!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like it's coming right out of the stock head unit. (well behind it somewhere)

·
Premium Member
6,141 Posts
I have that only when the car is cold, I'm in Drive, and the foot on the brake. It is worse when the A/C is on. Once it has warmed up, the noise is gone.

I haven't figured it out yet, but I think I'm going to chalk it up to wear and tear after 60K miles.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine's not tied into engine temp, ac or anything else.. it's crazy.
If I shift hard, it does it and it also does it on washboard type bumps in the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used is 300 three weeks ago and just 5 days ago I started to recognize the same sound. It's a rattle that starts when accelerating between 0 - 10 mph. The sound appears to be coming somewhere between the middle console (gearbox) and beneath the front passenger seat. Anyone else figured this out?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem described in this thread. It started about 6 months ago and has gotten worse. It happens when the car is moving on any surface other than freshly laid pavement. I have found this thread on another Social Networking site. I do not believe it is exactly what we are experiencing but it is a start for us to determine what? Where? and how to repair questions we have. Good luck and if I come up with any more information I will pass it along.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330710

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found a BS solution to this problem.
I moved to a part of town with smoother roads.

·
Premium Member
27,116 Posts
I had a rattle in the middle of the dash... it turned out it was the center air vents. I took off that felt piece (tray)... tightened it up... and it never happened again.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a theory about this. Maybe it's the dust cover on the bottom of the engine? I noticed some screws missing and putting them in place fixed the problem!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts