Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, recently i went canyon running, and ever since that day, i get a very weird clunking noise right under my seat. i always get this clunk like metal on metal bumping when my wheels go over a bump, i suspected my sways coming lose but i checked twice and they are real tight. i was under the suspension for a hole 30 min and cant see anything wrong. oh yea, when it clunks,, sumtimes i can feel the vibration of the clunk under my foot, you guys got any clues what might be wrong? i need help. i have such bad luck this week/month, racing ticket, now this... =[

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
Had the same problem this weekend after going canyon racing also. Basically after you use your brakes for a while everythign expands, brakes rotors pads, and the clunking noise you are hearing is comming from your brakes. My noise went away... my brakes are stock.. since you have pads maybe it has something to do with that.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
exactly!! i jsut went canyon running, i just got new pads and rotors no more then 2 weeks ago, this clunking thing is really weird and kidna scary, i can feel its vibrations, how long did it take for it to go away? are u sure its the brakes?

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
It was really hot the day I went, and I went with a few people. The whole thing lasted maybe 40 min and the noise came about 30 min in to it, so it was there the last 10 min. I had no idea what it was, so when we got to the bottom, I asked my friends what the noise might be and he said it's normal and he showed me where the noise is comming from and recreated the noise by hitting the metal clips that hold the pads in. But like I said after taking it easy on the drive home the noise is gone.

I would check the pads and your brakes, take them apart and clean and make sure everything is in place and see if the noise is still there. Or you can always drive and have someone run next to the car and see where the noise is coming from.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
damniel when it clunked, did it seem like ti was right under your foot? it seems like tis there, also on both sides, its been a few days clunk still there =[ AIM me at i2ichal2d, i need get htis problem fixed

·
Premium Member
2,723 Posts
I should mention that the sound was only there when I would turn, when going straight the sound wasn't there and yes it sounded like it was right under my car.

·
Registered
499 Posts
How much did you grease your bushings when you installed your sways? I had a sound when I went over speed bumps too. So I regreased the bushings. I also have the hotchkis sways. That fixed it for me. The little grease packet isn't nearly enought.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I was driving along a flat road and I heard the samething going over a medium size bump. It sounded like a metal sheet clanking like it was loose.

My car is only 3000 miles old and I noticed it driving about 5 mins from leaving work. The car is completely stock and I only hear it when the windows are down and there is a wall to reflect the sound back to me. I didn't feel anything else in the car either.

Why would the (stock) sways make a sound like that? :-?

·
Premium Member
52,610 Posts
There have been several cases of the bolts that hold the sway bar bracket to the car working loose. I had that problem. The bolts on the passenger side were almost completely backed out. It would rattle on slow turns and on small bumps at low speeds.

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
bartkat said:
There have been several cases of the bolts that hold the sway bar bracket to the car working loose. I had that problem. The bolts on the passenger side were almost completely backed out. It would rattle on slow turns and on small bumps at low speeds.
yup. same problem here.

·
Threadlocker
8,984 Posts
also if the clunking sounds like it's coming from your seat, have the dealer check the seat.. a few members have had problems with their seats coming loose.

·
Registered
7,122 Posts
is it a clunking sound? i had a scrapping noise come up and realized there was a recall on my 2001 IS300 due to the plastic guard under the drivers side of the undercarriage kept coming off. Dealer replaced the part.
Sometimes I do hear a creaking noise, once in a while, when I'm cranking a sharp turn.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts