Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently noticed that the drivers side of my trunk fills right up with water when it rains.
I pulled the drain plug to empty it for now.
I blew compressed air up the sunroof tubes, and they sounded clear (air coming out the top).
The seal for the trunk is brand new.
I did a search, and no good answers...
My leak looks like it is coming from the area the drain tube comes from, but not the tube itself.
How do I pull the headliner to make sure the tubes are connected up on top?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same problem man... It def was coming from the drain tube! The water had a blueish tint?!? But I ran a small bead of silicone around tube and pushed it back in the drain as far as possible ! No problem since :) hope this helps !

·
Super Moderator
19,540 Posts
Could be the drain tubes or your pressure flap is stuck open. They are locked on both sides of the car and are just that, a plastic flapper that keeps the trunk from building pressure. You would have to pull the bumper to inspect them I beleive

·
Registered
124 Posts
2005 IS300: OEM Body (ROOF SIDE VENTILATOR) Replacement Parts

This should be the part Jason is talking about. I had to replace my pressure vents because I had sitting water down in each well of the trunk. They can let water in due to them being stuck open or for the fact that the rubber flap gets old won't seal right.

If you want to access the vent on the driver's side, take out the jack and pry the carpet back a little down in that well. You should be able to see it with a flashlight.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I found the leak!
I pulled part of the headliner down, and looked at the sunroof mechanism.
There is a black plastic fitting that the clear/blue drain hose is clamped to.
Something is preventing the water from getting to that fitting, thus spilling through and around the rails for the sunroof.
I have blown it out with compressed air as good as I could, and am still getting some leakage.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
hmm, im going to have to check mine out because a week ago i noticed i had water in my trunk as well. I think mine was only because I had recently went to wash my car and used that intense power washer hose though. Then i contact Pool leak detection service.They are wonderful.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had the same problem, and someone on here told me it was my trunk pressure vents. I've seen it mentioned in this thread already. Checking those would be a good idea, mine were in poor shape. I bought new ones, but still haven't replaced them yet because I haven't figured out how to yet haha.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yea I had noticed the same problem with my 03 on the drivers side and I had figured it was the pressure tubes leaking down, had a similar experience with a 95 talon that had it running down the side of the truck lid from the sunroof, it was a simple fix once you find the tube just plug it up with silicon and your good to go

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had this problem and found that the body plug under the spare tire was not sealing. The rubber had shrunk and hardened causing it to loosen up and allow water/moisture to build in the trunk when it was raining. I put some gasket maker on the body plug and it fixed it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts