Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my car down to Elite auto repair in Warwick, RI in search for an answer to my issues with my tranny (hard to shift when cold, crunching noise between 1st and 2nd, violent shaking upon light acceleration when cold). Lexus recommends a fluid change for the manual trans at 30k i believe? Dealer has looked at the car several times and said there is no issues and could not recommend anything to solve these problems. Jim at Elite Auto Repair looked at my car and recommended he drain the fluid and fill it with a mobil 1 synthetic gear oil with some additives from lexus (cant really recall exactly what he said) and that he thinks this will help/solve my problem. On saturday night the temps dropped down to around 20 degrees, started my car up, pushed the clutch pedal in, and the selector just slid right into 1st gear. Before it would be an arm wrestling match to get it in 1st, I am amazed at the difference. BTW this issue started at around 12k miles, car has 20k miles now. For anyone looking for top-notch work on their car (specialize in lexus and toyota) i highly suggest seeing Jim at Elite auto repair, very professional, and cheaper than the dealers.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
Can anyone else chime in on experiences with different oils in the OEM manual tranny? I too find it difficult to shift between 1st and 2nd when the tranny is cold.

·
Registered
935 Posts
TeCKis300 said:
Can anyone else chime in on experiences with different oils in the OEM manual tranny? I too find it difficult to shift between 1st and 2nd when the tranny is cold.
I noticed a similar improvement when I replaced my transmission lubricant with Redline MT-90 synthetic. The synthetics have much less tendancy to thicken at low temps than the dinosaur based stuff. I put Redline 75W-90 in my LSD rear end as well. It's all good.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TeCKis300 said:
ya, def switch to some sort of synthetic. Jim really liked the mobil 1 stuff.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.