Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I just need some armor all :-?

I've had my Goodyear eagle F1 GS-D3's for about 1000 miles now and these are awesome tires. I've only driven in wet conditions a couple times, but these tires make it feel like you are on dry pavement, and the traction on dry pavement is unreal. The only way i can get the tires to slip is with a throttle induced oversteer on a turn from a stop.

The only problem with the tires is that I have to drive ridiculously fast to push these tires to their limits. There is a freeway interchange with a 40 mph recommended speed and if I drive our accord, the tires will start squealing at about 65-70 so i know that i'm getting close to the tires' limits of adhesion; however, my car and tires are still rock solid at 85 and I'm just a little too chicken to try to take it much faster than that because a freak incident like a slick spot or sand on the road scares me to death because Lexus + concrete barrier at 95 mph = very bad. I went around a 15 mph curve last night at 45 and still no tire squealing, but I can't drive much faster than that because of the 5g force pinning me up against the door.

All in all, these are awesome tires and leaps and bounds better than my stock RE040's

·
Registered
354 Posts
Man! you are crazy!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Just be careful! Leave the armor all to the honda drivers.
Do you have an auto or manual?

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can never safely find the handling limits on a public highway/street. I road raced cars for 12 years and I never went into a corner thinking "gee I hope I can make it". It is all about knowing what you and the car can do before you get to the corner. Then getting the most out of the car and yourself. The faster you go the less margin you have for errors of any kind and as you have seen, the IS300 can go pretty fast.

As has been said many times before, the safest place to learn your car's handling limits along with improving your skill is on a race track.

So your fears about pushing the limits of your car on the street are rational and healthy. The insurance rates for the IS300 would be much lower if more people would apply common sense. Your not chicken, you are just a little smarter than some of the folks that drive these cars.

We used to have a saying when I was flying.

There are old pilots and there are bold pilots.
Trouble is there aren't very many old bold pilots.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I've got the same tires and yes they provide lots of stick in both the dry and the wet. Excellent tire, and in my sizes they are somewhat common and not on back order status.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.