Lexus IS Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Am I Hype-R???
13,617 Posts
my first car was a supra...it was an 84 POS. back then i was like...yeah, this car is cool...then, after i got rid of it...i thought, that was a POS car!!!. anyways, i learned to drive in my aunt's 83 starlet. i loved that car more then the supra POS...i'm still trying to get my aunt to sell me her starlet...heh...it's a fun little car...kinda like a beater you bash on...

------------------
2001 IS300 Graphite Grey
94 Supra TT/6-speed/HardTop/black
90 Integra

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Originally posted by MunkyMan:
The first car i ever drove was a hand me down 1991 Honda Accord, with 152k on it, that car was awesome, it still runs to, i gave it to my grandparents, now im runnin in my 93 Legend
MunkyMan,

Do you ever hit the Legend BB at:
http://forums.legend.org/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

Is your Legend modified? Pictures? Sorry for the Acura talk guys but the Legend community is so small......

Mark

·
Registered
449 Posts
My first car wa a 1977 Mercury capri, V6, 4-spd, hatchback. Quick little car. i had installed front/rear sway bars, 195/50/15 tires, and i thought the car was the s**t. Every other weekend i was taking wrench to it or tweaking the sound system. Now got rid of the money pit and had purchased back in 97 the Honda civic ex, fully loaded and loved the driving experience. I also own the IS and love this car it has everything I want performance,luxory,and great sounds!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never looking back

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
My first car was an '84 Honda Accord hatchback. Great little car. I had gotten some money from my grandmother (a small, very small, inheritance) and I put some in a CD (interest rates at the time where between 10 and 12%!) and used that as collateral for a $5000 loan to buy the car. This was in '89.

The car lasted for over 100 miles when I sold it to my dad and bought an '87 Acura Integra Special LS. That car had 140k miles on it when I traded it in for the '94 Miata, which I still have.

Oh, I forgot the best part of the Honda story. I wrecked it in my first and only (knock knoc) accident by looking on the seat for an audio CD and looking up to see a stopped Minivan in front of me. Kablam! The sad part is, the Minivan had stopped to avoid hitting a police car that ran a stop sign in front of it...

Anyway, the front end was crushed and the hood was pushed way up in the air. My insurance deductible was $1000 (the only way I could afford the insurance in the first place) so it wasn't getting fixed. We took the hood off and I jumped up and down on it to flatten it out. Then we took the tire jack and put it between the front of the car and the engine and pushed the front back out, then put the hood back on. Stayed that way until my dad junked it.

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

[This message has been edited by webmaster (edited January 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
88 Posts
First car I bought was a new 1970 Plymouth Duster 340 for under $4,000. Bench seat with 4 speed, manual steering, AM radio, manual windows and no AC.

Dropped in a mild cam, headers and a Holly carb. Stiffened the rear suspension and added mag rims with fat juicy tires on the rear. Man, I really loved that car! It wasn't the fastest thing on the street compared to the modified big block Chevys and Fords but it still could fly. The only thing I regret is not getting a Plymouth with the 426 hemi. I sold the car 7 years later (racing days over, family time) for $4,200. I picked up a new Buick Regal and a Harley Davidson Sportster.

·
Registered
27 Posts
my first car i owned was... you guessed it! ..an s4

i love cars and i love drivin (especially spirited drivin!) and so i had to go all out (within my limits of course :p) on my first car purchase... BTW, im 26 (thats right, i never owned a car until 26- damn shame ,huh?)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Times sure have changed . . . even since I was a kid. hahaha
The IS is the first car I am paying for completely on my own. My first car, though is *gasp* a Chrysler Dynasty. That was replaced by an Acura Integra. I like where this is going.

------------------

Peabers
'01 IS300 Graphite Grey Pearl/Black Cloth LSD

·
Registered
13 Posts
The first car I bought was a new 1988 Honda CRX Si six months before I graduated from college. I loved it and drove it until 1995 when I was hit from behind and the car was totalled.

The first car I drove (bought by my parents) was a 1970 4 door Impala. It was passed on to my brother when I left for college.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I didn't have to buy my first car, it was a 60 something VW bus that was given to me because it wouldn't run. It was way cool (yeah right), it did have a sliding canvas sun roof though. I was 14 and had time to kill so I took the engine apart and cleaned it up some, put it back together. It ran fine till it rolled over while playing in a field. The engine made it's way into my second car which I bought with lawn mowing money, a 70 something Super beetle.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
My first car was a (does anybody know what this car even looks like?) 1976 Dodge Aspen. My dad bought it off of some old navy widow for a grand, for my "getting my license" present. It had a 318 V-8 which was surprisingly quick, and it was a biege tank. In my first year of driving it, I "bumped" into everything, from cars to guard posts in parking lots, usually while backing up.

First car I bought was an '88 nissan sentra.

------------------
MAD

·
Founder
8,520 Posts
Originally posted by Heloguy:
The first car I bought was a new 1988 Honda CRX Si six months before I graduated from college. I loved it and drove it until 1995 when I was hit from behind and the car was totalled.
I remember rear-end crash damage repair costs were the HIGHEST for that car for the years it was available. That's one with the glass upper rear hatch right?

------------------
Tony
'01 Spectra Blue
'94 Turbo Miata

·
Registered
135 Posts
A white '72 VW Beetle. My Dad bought it for $1500 in 1977. I had to cut of my speaker board to cover the back cubby hole where I mounted to Pioneer 6x9's Triaxials so I could really blast with me 8-Tracks!!

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
first car i got was a '94 camaro, this was in like '97. drove that around for a while. crashed it a couple of times. it was automatic, how gay!(i know).
so i suckered my parents into getting a stick this happened in '98, it ended up being another POS, '97 ford ranger 5-speed, hey atleast i learned how to drive stick.
but its all good now...im rocking the 2K1 IS300, too bad its automatic

oh well. i'll see what i can do about that.
hehehe

------------------
Phil from Irvine (University of Civics and Integras)
'01 IS300 Diamond White Pearl with nothing on the trunk except the Big L.
GOTTA LOVE THE RICE!

[This message has been edited by LexDymndz (edited January 03, 2001).]

·
Registered
132 Posts
First car: used '77 Chevy Monza 2+2, total POS bought for me by my parents as a college grad gift....but it got me and all my worldly possessions from Pittsburgh to Miami for my first job out of school....then the engine promptly seized.

First car purchased by me: 1984 Dodge Colt stripper, vinyl seats, 4 speed...hey, that first job didn't pay much!

------------------
'01 Imperial Jade Mica

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Originally posted by TEG:
I bought a 1983 Rx7 brand new with cash when I was 16. My family didn't have much money, but I got a big royalty check (my first real income) from some video games I wrote for the Commodore Vic20 computer.

Cool story. Makes me feel rather plain, TEG. '66 Mustang at 15 but first car I bought totally with my own money was an '83 Cressida at age 19. Yea, that was a headturner.

[This message has been edited by brad (edited January 04, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by brad (edited January 05, 2001).]

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.