Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I drove an IS300 today. There are lots of other postings of driving experiences, so I won't cover everything.

The car is very refined and composed. It is easy to drive and didn't seem to have any noticable vices in the handling department.

I had a salesperson in the car, so I didn't push it that hard, but a few fast corners and quick lane changes felt very controlled.

The car does feel (to me) like there is a bit more emphasis on luxury (and less on sport) than I expected. It was very quiet and smooth (Lexus like) but a tad less fun than I was hoping. Cars like the MR2, Rx7 and Boxster are all noticably more fun to drive. Not to say that it is not a fun car... just a bit less than I expected.

The driving position was excellent. The seats felt great, and all the controls seemed well placed.

I played around with the e-Shift and was a bit disappointed. It is not that there was something wrong with the e-Shift, rather it just doesn't have the sportiness of a manual transmission. I came to the conclusion that I would be far more inclined to leave the car in automatic mode than I would to try and use e-Shift to control the gear selection.

I hate to say it, but I think I am ready for a car that pampers me a bit (at the expense of some removal from the driving experience), so I am still fully inclined to get this car.
I would not compare the driving experience to an Integra Type R, S2000 or other "raw" sports cars.

Positives:
* The door closing sound is wonderful. Not like a heavy bank "vault" door. Not like a cheap econobox. More just a magical click which sounds like all the latches line up with a precision that I have not experienced before in a car.
* The autotrans shifts so smoothly that you can almost think that there is no shifting at all. Just imagine a one speed car with a huge torque band.
* The engine is quiet but has a hint of a wonderful noise going on. What little you do hear sounds great.

Negatives:
* The engine is so quiet that it is hard to listen for shift points. I am used to shifting without having to read the tach, but I found that I couldn't do this with the IS300 in e-Shift "M" mode. Another reason why I will probably stay in full-auto most of the time.
* The center arm rest is way too low for my elbow to hit, so I find that my right arm is left dangling in space. This is very annoying and I will have to find some way (aftermarket riser, pillow, ?) to address this.
* There was quite alot of tire noise in the car on the freeway. I am hoping that the Goodyear Eagle GS-D tires (which seem to be showing up on alot of IS300s) have less tire noise than the Bridgestone Potenza RE040s which were on the car I test drove.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
About this Discussion
0 Replies
1 Participant
TEG
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing