Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my take on this comparison. Please read the entire message before deciding to slam me.

First, remember that the ES300 and IS300 are not competitors because both are at the extreme points opposite each other in this class.

I see the 3-series, A4, and C-Class as being more of the in between crowd. I don't think they compete directly with the IS or the ES. They do compete in terms of price, entry-level class, and brand recognition.

The IS is an entry-level performance (no luxury - other than the brand) sport sedan (minus the manual transmission). The ES is an entry-level luxury sedan (there's nothing sporty about the ES).

All the others (3-series, A4, C-Class) offer a combination of entry-level luxury and performance sport sedan.

So, in the comparison of 3-series sales vs IS300 sales, I think it's an unfair comparison. Shouldn't we compare ES300 sales + IS300 sales vs 3-series sales vs A4 sales vs C-Class sales? After all, someone who would consider buying an IS will probably not even consider the ES, and vice-versa. But, someone who is considering the 3-series (and the others) could look at either the ES or IS, depending on what they want in a car. If it's a guy wanting an entry-level performance sedan, he may consider the 3-series vs A4 vs C-Class vs IS. But if it's a woman that just wants an entry-level luxury sedan, she may consider the 3-series vs A4 vs C-Class vs ES.

I'm not saying that all women prefer luxury over performance and I'm not saying that all men prefer performance over luxury. I'm just giving y'all a realistic (most of the time) example.

So, does my explanation of my point-of-view make sense?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Makes perfect sense.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
About this Discussion
1 Reply
2 Participants
brad
Lexus IS Forum
Community dedicated to Lexus IS Enthusiasts. Come in and enjoy our articles, galleries and information on aftermarket parts for the IS300, IS250, IS350.
Full Forum Listing