Lexus IS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I were driving down the highway the other day when all of a suden we hear this load BANG! Scared the shit out of both of us. So we pull over, and I get out and look and the sunroof is shattered, with a small hole in it and the glass pointing up toward the sky around the hole. I still can't figure out what happened. We were on an open highway, not going under any bridges, I can't imagine how anything could have come from the sky and fell on the car like that. My only guess is that the sunroof had a stress fracture and just popped!? I really don't know. Anyway, we were on a trip so we didn't know where to go to get the car fixed. So we called up the Lexus 1-800 number, and to our relief we were 15 minutes from a dealer. We drove to the dealer, and within 20 minutes were in our loaner IS300 and on with our trip! Amazing customer service!

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
- bird shlt :crazy:

·
11,061 Posts
dut said:
- bird shlt :crazy:
FROM THE INSIDE? :eek:

I have a feeling that roof is going back to the factory for an evaluation...

·
Premium Member
4,786 Posts
Reminds me of a similar thing that happened when I wa in my friends explorer recently. Rear glass just shattered with a loud boom while we were crusing on the interstate. Didn't look like anything hit it... weird stuff :-?

·
Registered
836 Posts
It's nice to hear that Lexus service was so good. It may have been a heat related problem. Was your sun shade closed???

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
D'sIS said:
It's nice to hear that Lexus service was so good. It may have been a heat related problem. Was your sun shade closed???
Yeah the sunshade was closed, but it was only about 85 degrees out at the time. The car is about 1.5 months old, and I had been noticing some creaking noise from the sunroof for about a week before this happened, but I just attributed it to the noise that has been posted on this board in the past.

A friend of mine suggested that maybe something fell off an airplane passing overhead and just happened to land right on top of my car going 75 mph down the highway! :eek: That would be some strange coincidence if that happened!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Woah, nuts! :eek: Guess it's a good thing your sunshade was closed or you probably would've creamed yourself! Are you going to stop back there on the way back or how are you going to get your car?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I had same thing happen to me in one my work vans and scared the sh!t out of me thank god it wasn't my lex sorry to here about your luck

G

·
0 Posts
nycggp said:
D'sIS said:
Yeah the sunshade was closed, but it was only about 85 degrees out at the time. The car is about 1.5 months old, and I had been noticing some creaking noise from the sunroof for about a week before this happened, but I just attributed it to the noise that has been posted on this board in the past.

A friend of mine suggested that maybe something fell off an airplane passing overhead and just happened to land right on top of my car going 75 mph down the highway! :eek: That would be some strange coincidence if that happened!

OMG my sunroof creaks also do you guys think mine will explode too?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Similar thing happened to my car. My wife was driving behind an 18 wheeler construction truck and a small rock flew up and shattered the sunroof (sunroof was opened in the tilt position). Fortunately for her the sun shade was half close. She said it was a loud bang like a gun shot.

·
Rollin Boosted
2,801 Posts
some jackass was probably shooting their gun up in the air not realizing that the bullets do come back down. thats my only guess seems like that would match the way you describe the hole.

·
8,803 Posts
Did you think of sueing lexus for mental distress?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, the sound was so loud it was crazy, almost like a gunshot. Its kinda hard to explain but it actually felt like you could feel the shockwave from the force of the window breaking. Its a good thing the sunshade was closed too, who knows where that chunk of glass flew to. I can't imagine if the sunshade was open and it had flown into the car what kind of damage it would have done to myself or my wife, not to mention the car's interior

Anyway, we were actually about 40 miles from home, so we were able to continue our trip for the day, then just drive the loaner car home. The dealer said that they don't stock glass, and that they had to order it, so I still have the loaner. We're waiting for them to call us when the window arrives, in the meantime our life goes on without skipping a beat thanks to the loaner car. This is the first Lexus we've owned, but so far I'm very impressed with the Lexus customer service. This company really does seem to go the extra mile to keep its customers happy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I FINALLY got my car back after almost a month of waiting. According to the dealership I dropped the car off at when this happened there were no IS300 sunroofs in all of the United States, so they had to have one shipped directly from Japan! So 3 weeks later I finally have my car again. The good thing is they covered the broken glass under warranty no questions asked! Man it feels good to be back in my own car again.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If the hot sun (even if it wasn't) was baking down on it for a while and the glass was heated up on the outside....a decent size pebble launched from someone's tire in front of you could have caught the wind just right and slapped it into your sunroof, causing it to break. I've heard of it happening before. One of my old cars had a steel sunroof and I heard a bang while cruising down the highway. I pulled over to find a small dent and "dust" from what looked like a rock. If it was a glass roof - no doubt it would have broken. Got stuck with a dent though... :bitching:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts