Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOLY CRAP ... i have 1500 rms subs with 800 rms amp... is it even possible to blow out my subs? i dont think it is ... anyway i might have accidentally wired the SUB's wrong ... like the positive to nagative visaversa. anyway you think that could have caused the blow out subs? im not TOO positive it's blown out but it sounds funny but it still HITS but not as hard... how the hell does the blown out sub look and sound like anyway? Does it LOOK any different?

·
Useless
4,731 Posts
nrkht said:
HOLY CRAP ... i have 1500 rms subs with 800 rms amp... is it even possible to blow out my subs? i dont think it is ... anyway i might have accidentally wired the SUB's wrong ... like the positive to nagative visaversa. anyway you think that could have caused the blow out subs? im not TOO positive it's blown out but it sounds funny but it still HITS but not as hard... how the hell does the blown out sub look and sound like anyway? Does it LOOK any different?
The power rating of the sub means nothing. You can have a sub that can handle 10 Billion watts, but 5 watts of distortion will destroy the coil.

If you had the sub improperly wired your amp may not have been running at the correct resistance causing the terminal issues that you have. The main reason for speaker damage is not power, but rather distortion. It is distortion that kills speaker and the common listener push their systems to distortion levels 90% of the time. I am not talking just the extreme distortion that most would hear, its the lower distortion where the amp is clipping enough to cook the speakers voice coils slowly.

·
8,849 Posts
If you screwed up positive and negative, it will not damage the sub.
Keep in mind, the electricity that goes to the speakers, including sub, changes positive and negative wires many times per second (40Hz=40 times per second). What changes in that case is the way the sub moves. Instead of moving forward when the positive wire gets positive current and negative gets negative current, the sub would move backwards, and as they change would move forward, instead of backwards.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so my subs are proabbaly not blown out? so if i probably take it to the pro's they could fix it in a ease?

·
8,849 Posts
If you just screwed up positive and negative wires on a sub, then it is alright. Take it to the shop and have it corrected.
Are you sure you have them in right this time, considering it sounds "funny" now?
How many subs do you have? DVC (Dual Voice Coil)? Any of them running parallel to another?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have 2 12'' audiobahns ........ :oops:

lol they were running 2 sterio amp and i think it was 4ohms each (1 + and - wire from each sub going into differnt + and - on the amp... not bridged) ... but im not TOO sure... and maybe it sounded funny because the subs weren't mounted in the box because i was trying to see what was wrong and the air leaking out may have caused the distortion sound. and also i have a 10 guage wire i think... and i was thinking or replacing it with a 4 guage but DAMN took it to the shop they offered me new wiring for 165$ ... i cant take it back to the shop where i got it from cuz they BURNED THE FUCK DOWn!! damn my warranty burned down with it... lol they disapeared after that. anyway i could get some pictures of the wiring if you need it to help me out. should i try mounting and screwing all the screws for the sub and see if the distortion still exist? also if i wired it wrong (- to - or + to +) for like 10 seconds . would i need to fix anything ?

·
8,849 Posts
Fix the wiring on both subs and that should do it. Plus from amp shoud go to Plus on sub. Same goes for minus. The sub will sound different when not in a box.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Check your gains...make sure they're not turned up all the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.