Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update 2/12....Ironically this thread was my anniversary year after I totalled my car and walked out with only bruised ribs, instead of it being worse as everyone thought by the damage done to the car. My pops passed yesterday, I feel real shitty as I didn't even see him.:(

2/11
Well today is the exact day since I lost my first IS last february 11 2010. This is my story. The OG thread is somewhere in this section..lol. I hope you enjoy the read and this will also be my ongoing build thread and will be updated regularly. So here we go..also this was written last july so some things may be off...lol.

This is a little documentatation of my IS since I got it in April 2007.

2003 BO black on black, Fully loaded minus nav 63k on the clock, decent upgrade from my four door jdm inspired eg civic.

First "mod" was to uprade the music. The stock cd player used to skip and the driver rear speaker used to short out. Also car came with a shitty woodgrain shift knob, so out with the old and in with the new. Pioneer D3 with orion components all around and razo carbon fiber shift knob.

Second mod was wheels.I didn't know much about wheels, offsets and tires. So I wnet with the advice of the shop and ordered my beloved work emotion xd9 (mgs) 17x8.5 +42 all around with Falken ziex 512 225 45 17.

As you can see the tires are stretched and I kept telling everyone including the shop that something is wrong. Why was the edge of the rim "poking out"? They said it's fine. I came back on here and asked some questions and found out that I had to get wider tires. I hated and still do the stretched tire look (it's not for me). Also found while driving that the front was rubbing against the suspension and making scraping noises..(go figure) So after a couple months, I put the stocks on, sold a pair of works and ordered a pair of 17x7.5 +50 (to be on the safe side) and 225 45/245 40 falken fk452. Staggered ftmfw!!

Third mod was suspension (this should have been actually the second, but I really liked the stock ride).In the meantime while going through my new wheel setup. I bought bilstein shocks, eibach pro kit springs and l-tuned sways. Oh yeah somewhere during that time I bought a trd filter.

This is the look after all that was installed.

Remember kids with the bilsteins they give your pro kits a shorter drop because the perch is a little lower. The ride is also great for a daily driver.

During this time, I was looking into boost. It's now after summer. At that time there was turbo east, srt, turbonetics and boost logic. The cheapest one with good results was the turbo east. Also vortech was about to release their s/c kit. A month after TE was reported to be closed down and they had a few kits that they were letting go for about 4k. I pmed, emailed and called them to get one but they never replied. I guess it was a sign because the people that got them were missing parts and who could you call/complain to for help!! They were out of business.
My only other choice was vortech at this point. The kit dropped and one member chaotic (I think), his car was the test car. I called up tony @ sconline.com and he gave me a deal and I said I would think about it. A couple weeks again, I called him back again and asked him if he would go lower. He said sure and gave me and unbelievable deal, shops couldn't even get the deal I was getting and they where asking me how I got it at that price and they can't...lol.
In about a week I had my kit.

I had also ordered an apexi ws2 catback. Only box pic..lol. I forgot to take the pic before install.

So now we are in november 2007. I called up a couple local shops and no one has much knowledge on the IS and if they do, they want to charge a arm and a leg..maybe your nuts too. Anyway I went to this shop out in jersey (biggest mistake and I will learn exactly a year to the date) for the install.

After a week or two..

I was extatic, the car had lots of pep, ran smooth, no check engine, perfect idle etc. It was super quick and fun to drive. I was supercharged for the winter..lol.
Enter spring 2008 and time to upgrade the rotors because the car didn't want to stop when the brakes was mashed. This was known after many races (not encouraging). I bought a set of rotora slotted rotors (no pics) with oem pads. Great combo. I didn't want the squeal of the aftermarket pads.

May 2008...this was what the outcome of hard wrok and a year was looking.

June 2008.. I decided to buy a seibon CF hood with aerocatch hood pins. Instead I got a VIS hood.:pissed:

IN comes november 08, my car has lost some of it's "pep" and used to act sluggishly at times, one instance I remember coming home froma movie and dude with the new civic SI was on my ass. I'm like wtf? I usually "EAT" these dudes by 7+ car lengths. Anyway one day on my way home my car went into limp mode, won't go pass 10mile p/h.
I took it to the shop only to find out that cylinder 5 leaned out and was toast. Which really means your engine is f#cked. He told me he has seen this many times with this uni-chip aka uni-crap shit.
The down time was 2-3 months. New motor, new piggy back (split-second box), installed a walbro intank and a dyno tune of 271 to the wheels (could have been more if I had a aftermarket header and 3" exhaust) and alot of $$. I got the car back and it was even better than before. Quicker, faster response...oh man.
They say that all good thing must come to an end. Two weeks after I got it back, I was turning a corner, it rained earlier, the back slid out and it was over.

This is what I hit

This is when I got it back..

This is how it looked before I sent it to the yard..:(

Also before my accident, I sent in a picture to super street of my car and the next day after I crashed it, they emailed me and said I would be in the may issue...lol.

I would like to thank all the members of this site and also...
Tony @ sconline
Wings performance
Tire Rack
Hop up Racing
Randy @ R&D motors
Louis @ carson
Peter @ Discount Tires Direct
Randy @ gran turismo
Randy (lawyer) for getting me out of those damn speeding tickets..lol
Warren @ tantrum
Rob @ fizz
Eddie @ THMotorsports
Charles trieu @ Super Street (It's in the reader rides, but at least it's there!! Got to start somewhere)

I also met some cool people while parting out my car and I would like to say thanks to them also, they are all members also...
Sean aka AltezzaISF, Corey aka Sugzz, Mike aka Snypez , Mike aka "white Mike" (that's what he told me one day when I couldn't figure out which Mike it was..lol), Mike aka turbo mike...it's like three of them...lol. John aka NYCJohn (thanks for the headlights:p), Carlos from jersey (forgot his SN), Rob I forgot his SN, I think it's Dagemini..he's aka Mr. busy anyway...lol. Rick aka BDR, never met him in person, but talked to him via AIM and he always answered my questions.
Also not to forget Corey (whiteIS), Travis (Twestman) and Rahim (Alfaromeo3). If I forgot anyone, don't take it personal:p

Reactions: GalletGun

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Awwww, sad story. :(

I hope you really enjoyed what good time you had with the car.

+rep for all the hardwork you put into your IS. :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
Dam... that is sad! It was a beautiful car!!! Glad that you survived it though lol

·
Registered
482 Posts
Damn son, I didn't realize how much work went into the car. You should post pics of the twin.

·
Registered
47 Posts
horrible ending to a great story! good luck on the new build

·
Registered
295 Posts
Nice story, and you'll have the happily after ending after you throw the SC kit back onto the car.

Spring is just around the corner. Hopefully that is...

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Damn son, I didn't realize how much work went into the car. You should post pics of the twin.
Yessir. Twin is under snow right now...lol. Pick up your phone, I called you like twice already..unless you sleeping..lol:p

Nice story, and you'll have the happily after ending after you throw the SC kit back onto the car.

Spring is just around the corner. Hopefully that is...
You know it...lol. Damn I called you too. I'm still down with that thing. :p

Thanks to everyone else.

·
Registered
3,281 Posts
ive always loved your car since it was the one that made me fall in love with the work xd9's

·
Premium Member
11,575 Posts
Hopefully you didn't lose too much cash in that one. Sucks either way

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Glad to see you posted this. I didn't know the whole story behind your car.
And it must mean you are close to updating :lol:
I'm still looking forward to seeing what you have planned!
I still have to finish that thing.:p.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^^It looks the same as the pic where it's with stock wheels with the drop. Just no tint..lol.

1 - 20 of 346 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.