Lexus IS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, ive noticed a lot of vibration on the front of the car when going over bumps. like this huge knocking noise which continued over a week, but i tried to ignore it. driving to riverside and back, it got worse. so today i finally had the chance to check it out. i popped open the hood, and there it was.... the screws on top of my teins starting going up, and almost fell off. so may i ask you .netters, why the hell did this happen? has this happened to anyone? i dont drive very hard, but i like taking corners pretty fast, but not to a point where my tires screech. thanks yall.

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
you should have probably checked it out when the problem started, but the torque specs for the front shock tower bolts is only 26 lb-ft... tighten them up and they're fine, right?

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
When you install stuff like that, it's a good idea to go back after a couple of hundred miles and retorque. Better check the fasteners on the bottom end too.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Use a little drop of Loc-Tite on the threads of the mounting bolts! works fine! An ounce of prevention goes a long way! double check things like that when it starts to be a concern.. dont hope that it will go away.

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Go out and buy yourself a set of matching nuts. Screw them on top of the nuts that you currently have on. They will "lock" if the bottom one tries to back out. I did this to each side of mine 8)

·
Threadlocker
7,912 Posts
BigDaddyRich said:
Use a little drop of Loc-Tite on the threads of the mounting bolts! works fine! An ounce of prevention goes a long way! double check things like that when it starts to be a concern.. dont hope that it will go away.
i agree with BDR... however you can get the mild (blue) version if you are afraid that the red stuff will lock it up forever...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
awesome Idea!!! i think ill go do that... i did infact notice that it happened again today. but i just torqued it back down. but the thing is, is that when i keep turning the bolt with my socket, it just keeps turning and turning, as if it wont tighten. but ill go buy some matching nuts.

redline814 said:
Go out and buy yourself a set of matching nuts. Screw them on top of the nuts that you currently have on. They will "lock" if the bottom one tries to back out. I did this to each side of mine 8)
btw, what is Loc-tite?.. some sort of liquid, cause i never heard of it and where can i buy it?

·
Podiatrist
22,260 Posts
wHiTeDrAgOnIS said:
awesome Idea!!! i think ill go do that... i did infact notice that it happened again today. but i just torqued it back down. but the thing is, is that when i keep turning the bolt with my socket, it just keeps turning and turning, as if it wont tighten. but ill go buy some matching nuts.
You stripped it
you gotta take out the whole coil and either replace the upper mount, or use a vice to press out the studs with new studs. You can use the studs from your factory suspension.

·
Premium Member
52,535 Posts
The stud that's turning has probably stripped out where it sits in the top mounting plate. Or the stud may have dropped down a little.

Loctite is a liquid thread locker. You can get it at most any parts store. Get the blue that isn't totally permanent. The permanent red requires heat to break it loose.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I think what whitedragon is referring to is the center nut which holds the shock piston rod to the pillowball mount......I actually had my front come loose yesterday at an autocross...the nut and rod will spin if thats all you tightened....what you have to do is get a "crow's foot" attachment (17mm) and attach that to your torque wrench, then hold the piston rod with a 10mm open end wrench to keep the rod from spinning

I spoke with Tein USA about it today and they told me it can happen under hard driving conditions. They also told me to be sure my springs were seated on the perches correctly. The spring thing seams odd, because if the Tein height specs are followed the springs will ALWAYS be compressed, even under full droop. I mentioned using loctite and they did not have a problem with it. As previously mentioned I would not use the stronger versions of loctite as they can be brutal to remove. The blue stuff should work fine (P/N 242 or oil resistant 243).

Front torque spec is 25.3 ft-lbs
Rear torque spec is 20.2 ft-lbs

HTH

1 - 11 of 11 Posts